Configure RealTimeSync on Linux (ZorinOS)

Get help for specific problems

Oggy1

Hello,
I set up ZorinOS RealTimeSync on Linux and it's running in the background.
After 300 seconds, the detected changes in the monitored directories should be backed up.
But nothing happens, even after more than 10 minutes these data were not backed up, I have to do this manually via FreeFileSync.

I set this up in RealTimeSync.
- the directories to be monitored
/Home
/mnt/Files_Downloads

- Run command line when changes are detected:
RealtimeSync /home/peter/SyncSettings.ffs_batch

What is wrong? RealTimeSync not working on Linux ZorinOS?

Cu Oggy1

Plerry

I don't know, but will assume RealTimeSync (RTS) works under Linux ZorinOS.
But you can easily check by having RTS monitor just a single folder where no programs nor the OS makes changes, and then manually create a change there.
It is also quite possible that it only works on a local drive (/Home ?) but not on a remote drive (/mnt/Dateien_Downloads ?), as RTS relies on the OS notifying it of changes.

> After 300 seconds, the detected changes in the monitored directories should be backed up.

If you have set an Idle time 0ff 300 seconds in RTS, it means that RTS will (only) trigger start timing its Idle time, and upon reaching (here) 300 seconds will start its command line (normally invoking an FreeFileSync (FFS) sync configuration). But note, that any new change (in the RTS monitored directories) occurring during the (here) 300 seconds idle timing will restart the Idle time timer back at 0.
From the RTS manual page:
Each time a file or folder is created/updated/deleted in the monitored directories or their sub directories, RealTimeSync waits until a user-configurable idle time has passed in which no further changes were detected, and then runs the command line.
So, the FFS sync will only be started (here) 300 seconds after the last detected change in the RTS monitored folders.
The FFS sync will only be started by RTS the Idle time after detecting a (first) change, if no further changes occurred within the set Idle time. In case one or more changes in the RTS monitored directories persistently keep occurring within the RTS Idle time, RTS will simply never start its command line (i.e.: never start the FFS sync)

Oggy1

Thanks for the answer, it still doesn't work.
Home directory is out of monitoring and time is set to 5 seconds.

Cu Oggy1
Attachments
rtsk.png
rtsk.png (85.62 KiB) Viewed 1901 times

Oggy1

It doesn't work on Kubuntu either.
Site Admin

Zenju

Please keep discussions in english only.

Edit: I've updated the posts using Google Translate.

Oggy1

Hello,
I set up ZorinOS RealTimeSync on Linux and it's running in the background.
After 300 seconds, the detected changes in the monitored directories should be backed up.
But nothing happens, even after more than 10 minutes these data were not backed up, I have to do this manually via FreeFileSync.

I set this up in RealTimeSync.
- the directories to be monitored
/Home
/mnt/Files_Downloads

- Run command line when changes are detected:
RealtimeSync /home/peter/SyncSettings.ffs_batch

What is wrong? RealTimeSync not working on Linux ZorinOS?

Cu Oggy1

Oggy1

Thanks for the answer, it still doesn't work.
Home directory is out of monitoring and time is set to 5 seconds.

Cu Oggy1
Attachments
rtsk.png
rtsk.png (85.62 KiB) Viewed 1814 times

Oggy1

It doesn't work on Kubuntu either.
Site Admin

Zenju

FFS is using the inotify API on Linux. Apparently the inotify implemenation of the file system driver that implements /mnt/Files_Downloads is buggy. If inotify had reported any errors, RTS would have shown them.
Site Admin

Zenju

FFS is using the inotify API on Linux. Apparently the inotify implemenation of the file system driver that implements /mnt/Files_Downloads is buggy. If inotify had reported any errors, RTS would have shown them. Zenju, 20 Jun 2023, 15:31
Missed the elephant in the room... Your command line starting with "RealTimeSync" obviously makes no sense.

Oggy1

How would the command line be correct?

Plerry

RealTimeSync (RTS) should invoke FreeFileSync (FFS) to run the specified *.ffs_batch file, not RealTimeSync itself.
Don't know exactly in Linux, but probably something like
FreeFileSync /home/peter/SyncSettings.ffs_batch

Oggy1

Does not work too.

Oggy1

I created an executable file and when I start it, the sync runs in the background. If I enter the path to this file in RealTimeSync /home/peter/autosync.sh, nothing happens again.

therube

I created an executable file
What do you mean by that?

Or do you mean that you set the attributes of FreeFileSync to "execute" (something like, -rwxrwxrwx)?
(I'd think it should be that way by default.)

After that, FreeFileSync should be pointing to a .ffs_batch file, so something like:
FreeFileSync /home/peter/autosync.ffs_batch.

Xanderful

Ran into this issue tonight, you need to make sure that FreeFileSync was installed to the /opt/freefilesync/ location.

If it was, then you will need to prepend your statement with,

/opt/freefilesync/FreeFileSync "batchfilelocation"

Hope this helps anyone who comes across this.