Feature Request: Folder and filename database to use for sync with a small portable drive between computers

Discuss new features and functions

mwan

I use a portable drive to transfer files between my work computer (A) to a home backup computer (C), I’d need a pretty massive portable drive (B) to hold all my projects inbetween computers, which I do not have. Computers A and C are in different physical locations, I would use the internet to sync data but my ISP has limits.

Instead of syncing all work projects from computer (A) to the portable drive (B) and then again from B to the backup computer (C), I’m curious if a database of filenames and folders can be made from the target backup computer (C) (which has already largely had files copied to from work computer A) and can be compared with new or changed ones on work computer A, similar to a direct sync between A and C. This way only new or changed files copy to portable B then get added or removed from backup C, without needing all the unchanged data to be on the portable drive inbetween.

I ask because I feel a method like above could be more efficient for a situation like this and maybe others, it’d certainly keep me from needing to buy a large drive which may again run out of space in the future. Correct me if something like this may already exist. Thanks!

Plerry

Not exactly what you are asking for ...
but perhaps the Time Span Filter option can also help out here.

xCSxXenon

There is no solution for that in FFS as far as I am aware. This has been requested a few times, I don't recall there being a resolution

therube

You might see what Everything (alpha) can do?
https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9787

Create a ".db" of 'work computer (A)'
Add a "Property" sha-1
(Or, if date/time is sufficient, then no need for the hash.)

Include in that same .db, 'home backup computer (C)' & 'portable drive (B)'

Do not enable, 'Automatically remove offline volumes'.

With that, you should have a listing of files on A: & B: & C:.
If particular drive is not "live", its' contents should still be listed, but grayed out.

You can sort, by various means, & also find duplicates or uniques (or distincts)...
(right-click a column header, Find (Name, or whatever) Duplicates (or then right-click the 'Find Name Duplicates' context-menu item for more options...)

(Oh, I'm getting a bit confused, but give it a whirl & see what it might be able to point out to you & if there is benefit to you...)

I also have sneaker-net, though I'm rather lax in my needs, & so (generally) don't have a specific methodology, actually I do, it's call KAOS ;-).