Since update to 12.5 there's an error regarding process initialization

Get help for specific problems

TheExpert

Hi all,

since updating to version 12.5 I get the error
Error during process initialization.
Cannot open directory "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned".
ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND: Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht finden. [FindFirstFileEx]
Why is this happening? With the earlier versions I didn't get this message.

Kind Regards

xCSxXenon

Revert to previous version to confirm that the issue goes away. It will likely still be present.
If it works with a previous version of FFS, then reinstall the current version and see if it is still an issue.
Also, check the SMART data of the drive with gsmartcontrol and run a chkdsk if it is healthy
Site Admin

Zenju

The error has always been there, but the latest FFS version has become extremely thorough with regards to error reporting:
FreeFileSync 12.5 [2023-07-21]
------------------------------
Log and report errors during cleanup or exception handling

TheExpert

Revert to previous version to confirm that the issue goes away. It will likely still be present.
If it works with a previous version of FFS, then reinstall the current version and see if it is still an issue.
Also, check the SMART data of the drive with gsmartcontrol and run a chkdsk if it is healthy xCSxXenon, 24 Jul 2023, 15:26
This is a issue with version 12.5. I use FreeFileSync in daily manner and very often. So with 12.4 and earlier this error didn't come to the log. But with 12.5. The path isn't available on Windows Server Editions. The question is why FreeFileSync is using this path?

And this issue has nothing to do with a drive error.
Last edited by TheExpert on 24 Jul 2023, 17:06, edited 2 times in total.

TheExpert

The error has always been there, but the latest FFS version has become extremely thorough with regards to error reporting:
FreeFileSync 12.5 [2023-07-21]
------------------------------
Log and report errors during cleanup or exception handling
Zenju, 24 Jul 2023, 15:28
The path isn't available on Windows Server Editions and on Windows 10. The question is why FreeFileSync is using this path? So every synchronization ends now with errors even if the synchronization itself is successful.

TheExpert

And what's more confusing: On a Windows 10 system there are 3 different synchronization jobs running. But the error happens on only 2 jobs. I expected that all 3 jobs are getting the error message.

On other systems the error is always logged.
Site Admin

Zenju

Should be fixed in the following version:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/gepakunzqnnqhv9/FreeFileSync_12.6_%255BBeta%255D_Windows_Setup%25286%2529.exe

"Quick Launch\User Pinned" is required to adapt the app user model id of the FFS launcher link (if existing).

TheExpert

Thank you. I've now updated FreeFileSync to 12.6 Beta and will try if this works. I will give you feedback.
"Quick Launch\User Pinned" is required to adapt the app user model id of the FFS launcher link (if existing).
What does this mean?

TheExpert

Thank you for this Beta version. The error message isn't shown in the logs any more.
What does this mean and what happens when FFS can't adapt the app user model ID of the FFS launcher link?

Ribson

Thank you for this Beta version but I lost donate version. Can I use my donation edition setup key during installation?

Plerry

A Beta-version is never a Donation version.
If a Beta version proofs to solve the problem it is intended to solve, the solution will very likely be incorporated in the next official release, and will then also be available as Donation version.

TheExpert

I still don't know, what's meant by
Quick Launch\User Pinned" is required to adapt the app user model id of the FFS launcher link (if existing).
And is the change in 12.6 BETA also implemented in 13?

TheExpert

Thank you. I haven't seen this point in the release notes.

I can confirm that this error doesn't come up with version 13.