Where are databases for moved/renamed files stored?

Get help for specific problems

FreeFileLove

According to https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=synchronization-settings#moved-files:

> Detection of moved files is not yet possible when synchronizing a folder pair for the first time. Only beginning with the second sync the database files are available to determine moved files.

Where are these database files stored?

I had a FreeFileSync profile for which moved file support was not enabled. I then performed a mirror backup. Next, I enabled moved file support for that profile. I synced the profile again, and then once again, but I'm not seeing any databases created.

In this particular case, both the source and the destination are NTFS partitions.

Plerry

> Where are these database files stored?

They are stored in the left and right base-location(s), upon closing FreeFileSync, after having run a Compare and Sync.

FreeFileLove

> Where are these database files stored?

They are stored in the left and right base-location(s), upon closing FreeFileSync, after having run a Compare and Sync. Plerry, 17 Sep 2023, 11:18
Thanks Plerry. I was looking in the FreeFileSync data folders, and not in the base locations. Also, realized they have the hidden attribute set.

I'm only seeing them in the destination, but that's probably because I'm mirroring and not updating. Does that sound right?

Plerry

> Does that sound right?

No, after the first sync, you should have one database in each of your left and right base locations.
If you have one in your right location but not in your left location, that may be due to the fact that the user (under which credentials FreeFileSync (FFS) is run) does not have write, but only read access in one of the base locations. This is not an uncommon scenario when running a Mirror sync.
However, if this is the case, there is little benefit to having/using the database.
Site Admin

Zenju

If you have one in your right location but not in your left location, that may be due to.. Plerry, 18 Sep 2023, 05:22
This situation is generally not possible. FFS writes both DB files as temporary files first, and only then renames them. So if there is an error during write, the worst that can happen is that it affects a temporary file that is either immediately deleted or later during the next sync.

Plerry

@Zenju:
How about when you also run other syncs (that are set to use the database, but where neither the left nor right base location are locked for writing) to/from the above Mirror's target/right base-location?
Site Admin

Zenju

It depends: Both syncs will run the following steps, which might interleave or not:

1. write temp DB left
2. write temp DB right
3. rename/overwrite DB left
4. rename/overwrite DB right

FreeFileLove

... FFS writes both DB files as temporary files first, and only then renames them. Zenju, 18 Sep 2023, 06:36
All this writing/renaming/overwriting takes place only in the source/destination base folders, correct?