Pausing a sync appears to not stop I/O ?

Get help for specific problems

therube

Pausing a sync appears to not stop I/O ?

13.0, Win7

File Content compare
Two Way sync
VerifyCopiedFiles enabled

1. Paused
2. Well after I Pause, but still I/O going on
3. After 'Stop', I/O went to nil
FreeFileSync13 Pause, but still going & going.png
FreeFileSync13 Pause, but still going & going.png (58.99 KiB) Viewed 2298 times

therube

1. here I paused it (almost immediately).
2a. the 1st set of I/O (yellow & purple) shows that the actual I/O continued, & the sync actually finished (even though it was "Paused")
2b. as the sync finished, I/O dropped to 0
(we're still paused during this time)
Then I "un-paused" it.
2c. with that I/O again started (all yellow), & this is the VerifyCopiedFiles kicking in
3. sync had already finished (during the "Pause"), & then, once un-paused, VerifyCopiedFiles also finished.
(& all was done :-))
FreeFileSync13 Pause, but still going & going 2.png
FreeFileSync13 Pause, but still going & going 2.png (22.49 KiB) Viewed 2287 times

xCSxXenon

Yeah, I think clicking pause will still finish the current file before actually stopping. It feels more like a 'pause request' and should maybe say "pausing" first

Plerry

Fully in line with zCSxXenon's reply:
if you pause an ongoing FFS sync, FFS will finish the sync of the file it was busy syncing before actually pausing. So, if FFS just started to sync a large file, it may take a while before FFS actually pauses.

therube

I hear what you're saying... but let me think about that for a bit... ?

So you're saying, once you've dropped the letter into the postbox, it is "sent" - unless you go dumpster (postbox) diving (hitting Stop).

So you can't actually "Pause" (let's call it a large file). So you can't say, "oh, I've transferred 1001 bytes of this four million byte file" - Pause - & with that I/O also [actually] pauses, & when you say, Resume, it says, "ah, I now start at byte 1002"?

Well, you (other software) certainly can "Pause" *and* have I/O - paused, & resume (at byte 1002) & complete successfully (all that had had been Paused).

So... why does FFS not do that?
Because... ? ... potentially if you're uploading to the "cloud", particular protocols... ?
pause, resume, pause, resume, pause, resume ... & during Pause, no I/O.
Salamander pause RESUME pause RESUME pause RESUME - no IO during pause.png
Salamander pause RESUME pause RESUME pause RESUME - no IO during pause.png (7.23 KiB) Viewed 2260 times

Plerry

> So... why does FFS not do that?

I am just describing my own experience.
I can't tell you why; you would need to ask Zenju.

therube

no way to use the VPN temporarily for other tasks as the link is fully saturated
Same sort of condition that brought it to light, for me.