Updated to 13.1 Now Backup fails.

Get help for specific problems

DavidWall

I recently updated from an older version to 13.1 - my nightly backup failed because it couldn't find the BatchRun.ffs_batch file - that's because I run FFS via a batch file and pass it the name of my config file as BackupC.ffd (which is obviously an older format).
I reloaded an older version 11.20 and of course my backup ran fine.
I looked for when the file naming changed but couldn't find it.

I then reloaded the latest 13.1 and renamed my .ffd to BackupC.ffs_batch and tried again - this time it appeared to work but when I looked at the .log it had apparently failed again because the sync files didn't pass their checksum (yet the backup had worked fine the night before).

I have attached my .ffd as well as the error.log file - could someone please tell me what changes I have to make to the .ffd to get it to work with 13.1- or should I just continue to use the older version ad infinitum.

Also - at what point did the checksumming of the sync files change such that they no longer work.

AS AN ADDITION - I tried passing you the .ffd file but your system came up with invalid file extension - wtf - I've change the extension name to .jpg and that worked - something stupid going on at your end there.

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
BackupDEZ 2023-11-18 093340.063 [Error].html
(7.12 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
BACKUPC.BAT
(96 Bytes) Downloaded 343 times

DavidWall

How do you edit a post - ???

I just noticed that despite my attaching the .ffd as a .jpg - AND your system appearing to accept it - when I went to post the file was no longer there. I'll attach it here as a .abc That didn't work either.
I'll try .txt despite it really being a .ffd. - that seemed to work.
Attachments
BackupC.txt
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
Site Admin

Zenju

1. Your original FFS version is too old (apparently from 2020). It's configuration files are not recognized anymore. To migrate your config you already did the right thing and install a "no so old" version 10.22. Once all your config files have been migrated, you can install the latest FFS version.

2. Current FFS versions check for a valid file extension, while old versions didn't care. Valid file extensions are ffs_gui, and ffs_batch. But you should know that already, because this is what the error message says.

DavidWall

Thanks Zenju - I replied mistakenly via email.
I understand that the config file name specification has changed and that instead of using BackupC.ffd I now have to use BackupC.ffs_batch. Exactly how do the config files get 'migrated'.
Is this a default action in one of the versions or what ??.
If I rename my config file to the new name - is there a specific version I can run that will do the migration and then I can update to the latest version.
I did also note that at some stage I got a 'sync file invalid' message - so obviously the sync files have also undergone some sort of change - is there a version I need to use to process that as well.
I suppose I can do a dummy backup changing the version numbers from 10.20 to 13.1 if there is no specific version that will do the necessary changes.
Thanks again for the quick response.

therube

I believe he's saying to run 10.22 (available here, https://freefilesync.org/archive.php).
Then after that, install 13.1.

10.22 should convert your configuration files such that they should then work in 13.1.

I'd make backups (of your FFS files) along each step of the way.

(Or I suppose you could just recreate things in 13.1.)