Bug Report - Incomplete %ComputerName%

Discuss new features and functions

harryytm

The name of my laptop is currently named "ASUS-VIVIOBOOK-S14", but when I use %ComputerName% as path it would become "ASUS-VIVIOBOOK-".

I am currently using Windows 11 (Version: 23H2) x86_64

Plerry

It is questionable if this is an FFS bug, as %ComputerName% is a (Windows) environment variable.
What does your computer show when you open a command shell (search for CMD) and type
echo %ComputerName% ?
If that is already incorrect, this is not an FFS issue.

xCSxXenon

The max length for computer names is 15. Change your computer name in Settings
Last edited by xCSxXenon on 02 Jan 2024, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.

therube

Curious.
If you run HOSTNAME from a C: prompt, does that show ASUS-VIVIOBOOK-S14 or ASUS-VIVIOBOOK- ?

C:\> HOSTNAME

(Seems the maximum length can be >15, but certain features, like NETBIOS may not work as expect with longer length names.)

harryytm

Curious.
If you run HOSTNAME from a C: prompt, does that show ASUS-VIVIOBOOK-S14 or ASUS-VIVIOBOOK- ?

C:\> HOSTNAME

(Seems the maximum length can be >15, but certain features, like NETBIOS may not work as expect with longer length names.) therube, 29 Nov 2023, 18:08
Result is ASUS-VIVIOBOOK-S14

Plerry

Note that HOSTNAME and ComputerName are different beasts.
You (harryytm) never reacted to my initial reply about ComputerName ...

xCSxXenon

The max length for computer names is 15. Change your computer name in Settings xCSxXenon, 29 Nov 2023, 17:08

harryytm

You (harryytm) never reacted to my initial reply about ComputerName ... Plerry, 02 Jan 2024, 12:11
Sorry I missed your post, the answer is "ASUS-VIVIOBOOK-".

harryytm

Since I figure out the limitations of %ComputerName% and not a bug in the first place, I make it into a feature request instead.
Feature request - adding internal macro %HOSTNAME%

Plerry

It sounds a bit strange, but the Manual page on Macros suggests FFS does only(?) support the listed (Windows) Environment Variables.
Did you simply try using %HOSTNAME%?

If that fails, it seems that, until HOSTNAME would be added to the supported variables (if ever ...), you can always go the way of defining a custom variable that is assigned the value of HOSTNAME.
This, as described in the example on the Macros Manual page.