Folder pairs problem

Get help for specific problems

TheWarden

I couldn't find an answer searching, as I'm not entirely sure what terms to search for. Attached is a screenshot of my 2 folder pairs I'm trying to update from the left to the right. The problem is that the "Photos" folder although being in the root folder of my nas, ffs wants to treat it as if it's in the "Home_Videos" folder like the other folder pair. It clearly shows "\\MS-NAS\Photos" -> "D:\Photos," yet when I compare, it wants to delete EVERYTHING on the right under the Photos folder, because it says that "\\MS-NAS\Home_Videos\Photos" (item not existing).

It will function properly if I remove the other Home_Videos folder pair, but as soon as I add that one back, it's treating the photos folder like it's also in the home_videos folder and it is not. I have no idea what to do to make this work right. Never had this issue before and I've been using ffs for years now.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-19 185130.png
Screenshot 2023-12-19 185130.png (76.7 KiB) Viewed 7803 times

Plerry

The problem seems to be that you created an overlap between your two folder pairs.
Your first right location is D:\ , your second one D:\Photos .
But D:\Photos is obviously part of D:\ , so there is your overlap.
I would expect FreeFileSync (FFS) gave you a warning to that extent.

There are (at least) three options to solve the problem:
1)
Define your first left-right pair as
\\MS-NAS\Home_Videos => D:\Home_Videos
and your second left-right pair as
\\MS-NAS\Photos => D:\Photos
2)
(only works if you can access \\MS-NAS without specifying the share)
Define just a single left-right pair as
\\MS-NAS => D:\
and in the FFS Include Filter, replace the default * (=everything) by two lines, \Home_Videos\ and \Photos\ , or a single line \Home_Videos\|\Photos\
or 3)
Keep your present two left-right folder pairs, but add \Photos\ to your global Exclude Filter (the funnel-icon above your left-right pairs) or to the local Exclude Filter of the first left-right pair (the funnel-icon in between said left and right locations).

In case 1) and 2) you sync the content of \\MS-NAS\Home_Videos into D:\Home_Videos,
in case 3) you sync the content of \\MS-NAS\Home_Videos into the root of D:\