Sync from encrypted usb to pc folder

Get help for specific problems

ckffrles

Hi! I successfully used FFS to sync a usb flash drive (ntfs) to a pc folder. Now I have decided to password protect my usb drive. I'm trying to sync the (ext4) usb drive and it pops this error (translated) " can't open the directory (my drive). Permission denied"

Is there a way to make the synchronization work?

I'm using FFS 12.0 version in Ubuntu 20.04 Lts.

Thank you very much.
Last edited by ckffrles on 25 Dec 2023, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

Plerry

It depends on what type of encryption is applied.
As FreeFileSync (FFS) works at file-level, if your encryption is also at file-level, FFS will gladly sync files in their encrypted form.
Similarly, if you can mount your encrypted drive or folder(s) as a seemingly unencrypted drive or folder (some encryption tools have that capability), FFS will gladly sync files and folders in unencrypted form between (truly) unencrypted drives or folders and said seemingly unencrypted drive or folder.

However, FFS will never encrypt nor decrypt between left and right.

For all other encryption cases than the two above, you are likely at a loss trying to use FFS.
Then, the only option is often to make images of your complete encrypted drive with a suitable imaging program. Those images could then be full (always the first time) or incremental (storing the changes w.r.t. the previously made image).

ckffrles

Hi! Thanks for your answer. I think the encryption I'm using is not at a file level. It's more like a password protected drive. I used the linux (ubuntu 20.04 lts) tool Disks. With that tool I have formated a usb flash drive and have enabled password protection. I have used Ext4 format and the password protection uses Luks (Linux Unified Key Setup). My pc file manager, Nemo, asks for a password to be able to access the files. I thought that typing and remembering that password would be enough, but I guess FFS uses an file browser of its own to access the drive and, since it doesn't have the password, it can't access the files and an error pops.

Would my password protected setup be a problem? or should FFS be able to access it? Anywhere I can input the password in FFS?
Thank you very much.

Edit: I have just realized something. FreeFileSync DOES SYNC subfolders from the password protected drive, but when I try to sync the hole drive (from the root directory) is when I get the error message saying it can't access that directory + lost+found. I guess that lost+found has something to do. It's not in the path to the directory, but it appears in the error.