I've got a conflict...3,000 of them!

Get help for specific problems

boris

OK I have 2 notices that come up all the time about conflicts. 1 is that both files have been updated since last time. I mean, that's not possible when 1 set of files sits on a backup drive doing nothing, and the other set of files is used.
However I am not a techie so, how on earth am I supposed to approach this problem? FFS tells me that's what's wrong but I am bemused as to why its happening or what I should do. I'm tempted to backup the files from my main drive as these are the ones in use.

the other one is this:
Some files will be synchronised as part of multiple folder pairs.
To avoid conflicts, set up exclude filters so that each updated file is included by only one folder pair.

Y:\Games\C drive stuff\common ๐Ÿ’พ AoEDE\AoEDE_s.exe
Y:\Games ๐Ÿ‘“ C drive stuff\common\AoEDE\AoEDE_s.exe

Y:\Games\C drive stuff\common ๐Ÿ’พ AoEDE\BattleServer.exe
Y:\Games ๐Ÿ‘“ C drive stuff\common\AoEDE\BattleServer.exe

Y:\Games\C drive stuff\common ๐Ÿ’พ AoEDE\build.txt
Y:\Games ๐Ÿ‘“ C drive stuff\common\AoEDE\build.txt

They're obviously the same files. The filter is set to backup by updating changed files. So why am I getting a folder pair error and what on earth is a folder pair?

I look forward to someone helping me because this is doing my head in now.

Plerry

> ... and what on earth is a folder pair?

The absolute very first item of the FreeFileSync (FFS) Manual is:
"Basic Usage:
1. Choose left and right folders."
which obviously constitutes a (left-right) folder pair ...

It seems you are trying to sync between Y:\Games and Y:\Games\C drive stuff\common.
And as the second location is obviously part of the first location, there is a (partial) overlap between between the two and hence:
"Some files will be synchronised as part of multiple folder pairs."
because said files are part of (at least) two of your left and/or right folders of your folder pair(s).
(Note that if you have defined multiple (left-right) folder pairs, the overlap may also exist between folders in different folder pairs, e.g. between the left folder of pair 1 and the right folder of pair 2)

The simplest way to avoid overlaps is to define your (left-right) folder pair(s) so they do not overlap.
E.g. by syncing Y:\Games to Y:\Backup\Games
If you can not avoid the overlap in your folder pair definition, the second best things is:
"... set up exclude filters so that each updated file is included by only one folder pair."
E.g. by having a folder pair Y:\Games and Y:\Games\C drive stuff\common , and then adding
\C drive stuff\common\ to your Exclude Filter.

boris

The absolute very first item of the FreeFileSync (FFS) Manual is:
"Basic Usage:
1. Choose left and right folders."
which obviously constitutes a (left-right) folder pair ...
Obviously to you, quite obviously, not obvious to me. I searched for 'folder pair' being the most sensible thing to do, and it didn't appear.

Anyway I don't know why it reported Y drive to Y drive. What I was doing was copying C:\steam and then also copying c:\steamapps. So I was copying the main folder, but then also the subfolders, in the same operation. That's what I get for adding things without realizing what I'm adding.
Thanks for the help it's very much appreciated.