Defender suddenly dislikes FreeFileSync

Get help for specific problems

vsn

Hi all,

New to the forum, but not to FreeFileSync.

I am running FFS on a work computer (managed by the organization) with Windows 10 and the enterprise version of Windows Defender. Since late December, Defender started to dislike FFS and has clobbered my file association, pinned icon and most of the files.

Screenshot
Screenshot
capture-24-01-03 0908.png (35.65 KiB) Viewed 5520 times

I have local admin access so got the latest FFS and installed it, which was OK until the next scan and then the same happened.

I have tried to 'allow' the threat, which seemingly worked but it hasn't really. The files have been quarantined and it's not putting them back.

Does anyone else have similar problems and what have you done about it?

Thanks

Plerry

> I am running FFS on a work computer (managed by the organization)

Looks like illegal use: https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#commercial
So, perhaps it is just your companies way to protect itself against legal liabilities.

vsn

Good point, but I am not using it for commercial purposes, I am using it to sync my personal photos between my two personal external drives.
Site Admin

Zenju

Microsoft Defender Vulnerability Management enables support for your IT security administrators to block vulnerable application versions.

If you receive this detection, it means that you are running a vulnerable version of the application that has been blocked. Your security administrator requires you to install an updated version.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/malware-encyclopedia-description?Name=EUS:Win32/CustomEnterpriseBlock!cl

vsn

Unfortunately I've already tried the latest FFS with the same result. Thanks anyway.

xCSxXenon

Yep, this has been on here before. The answer is to talk with your IT team. However, if you have local administrator access, I have an inclination that they won't be able to help you.
viewtopic.php?t=10342&hilit=IT+department#p38779