RealTimeSync doesn't work both ways

Get help for specific problems

Falk

Hey there,

I am running two ubuntu-machines. On both machines I need to have the same content up to date. So If I change it on one it has to change on the other too. As a kind of bridge I am using my wlan-router sporting a NAS-USB-Stick available for me through internet.

What I did was to create a synchronisation of the local folder and the NAS. The synchronisation works just fine. I "batched" it and started the RealTimeSync with the batch.

When I start the RealTimeSync it synchronizes in both ways on each machine. But than something odd hapens. If I change something on machine A it synchronizes to the NAS. In my thoughts machine B should now synchronize from NAS to itself, but it doesnt. Same problem when I change something on B. It sends the change to the NAS but A doesnt "sense" the change on the NAS.

Interesting too. I changed something on A, therefore it changed on the NAS. If I change something different on B the change triggered from A is now changed on B too. Of course the change from B only gets to NAS but not to A .... until there is something changed.

Any suggestions?

Plerry

It sounds like the router-NAS does not (properly) support directory monitoring.
This is not unlikely, as it is not a full-fletched NAS.
Read the third bullet of the RTS limitations.

xCSxXenon

If you are using Windows, you can get around this by sharing the folders you need synced. Computer A shares the folders, computer B maps them or accesses them via hostname, you sync A<->B using RTS, and then also set up computer A to use RTS and sync between it and the NAS for backup purposes

iwannabe.dev

I have the same problem. I understand there could be a problem with reporting changes to system from a remote location, but is there any way to fix this or apply some workaround?

I try to synchronize a vault for Obsidian (Linux Mint machine) with my NAS (SMB share hosted on TrueNAS Scale home server), so I can use Obsidian on all my devices with all my notes being up to date. I set "2 way synchronization" with additional versioning in FreeFileSync and saved it as *.ffs_batch. Then I passed this file to RealTimeSync and clicked "Start" button. When I change someting on my Linux Mint machine, it's being synchronized with my NAS within a time set in RTS (RealTimeSync), but when I change something on my NAS it doesn't always reflect on my Linux Mint PC (when I create a file on NAS it never synchronize to PC, but when I delete a file, then SOMETIMES it does synchronize).

Here's my *.ffs_batch file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<FreeFileSync XmlType="BATCH" XmlFormat="23">
    <Notes/>
    <Compare>
        <Variant>TimeAndSize</Variant>
        <Symlinks>Exclude</Symlinks>
        <IgnoreTimeShift/>
    </Compare>
    <Synchronize>
        <Changes>
            <Left Create="right" Update="right" Delete="right"/>
            <Right Create="left" Update="left" Delete="left"/>
        </Changes>
        <DeletionPolicy>Versioning</DeletionPolicy>
        <VersioningFolder Style="Replace">/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=192.168.0.110,share=entertainment,user=rogal/OBSIDIAN/_backup/versioned files by FreeFileSync</VersioningFolder>
    </Synchronize>
    <Filter>
        <Include>
            <Item>*</Item>
        </Include>
        <Exclude>
            <Item>*/.Trash-*/</Item>
            <Item>*/.recycle/</Item>
        </Exclude>
        <SizeMin Unit="None">0</SizeMin>
        <SizeMax Unit="None">0</SizeMax>
        <TimeSpan Type="None">0</TimeSpan>
    </Filter>
    <FolderPairs>
        <Pair>
            <Left>/home/iwannabe/OBSIDIAN/My Second Brain</Left>
            <Right>/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=192.168.0.110,share=entertainment,user=rogal/OBSIDIAN/My Second Brain</Right>
        </Pair>
    </FolderPairs>
    <Errors Ignore="false" Retry="3" Delay="5"/>
    <PostSyncCommand Condition="Completion"/>
    <LogFolder/>
    <EmailNotification Condition="Always"/>
    <GridViewType>Action</GridViewType>
    <Batch>
        <ProgressDialog Minimized="true" AutoClose="true"/>
        <ErrorDialog>Show</ErrorDialog>
        <PostSyncAction>None</PostSyncAction>
    </Batch>
</FreeFileSync>
BTW: isn't RTS producing any logs while running? I've found logs for FFS, but not for RTS itself. I was getting some "Error" before and wasn't able to debug it - when I hover mouse pointer over RST icon it only says "Error", which isn't very useful.