Digital Certificate Error

Get help for specific problems

gfreesync

Morning,

Windows 10pro Norton is reporting the digital certificate is not valid. I downloaded the file this morning and was just now going thru the install.

Is there an issue or is it relative to Norton Security?
I did not try to re-install with a different downloaded version.

thanks Mike

gfreesync

this is the error message. Folder Comparison and Synchronization does not have a Valid Digital Signature.
Also, this is the second version just downloaded and install attempted.

Thanks
Attachments
Free file sync error Screenshot .jpg
Free file sync error Screenshot .jpg (53.66 KiB) Viewed 293 times

gfreesync

I did uninstall and re-installed previous version there is not an issue with that one.

thanks

gfreesync

I looked at that document. Here's my concern. I re-installed version the previous version and there is no issue with the digital certificate. It is only this specific version that has the issue. To me that's not normal.

xCSxXenon

Norton sucks in my opinion. It shouldn't be used or trusted. Why pay to slow your computer down and inconvenience you?
2024-02-18 10_29_42-Bin.jpg
2024-02-18 10_29_42-Bin.jpg (152.55 KiB) Viewed 258 times

gfreesync

Ok - The information I needed was the certificate data as you presented. Your signature time stamp is different than mine. Mine shows ‎Friday, ‎February ‎16, ‎2024 1:54:53 PM. Is not a certificate's time stamp what determines the legitimacy of the certificate? My experience with Certificates which is near a decade ago is that the time stamp was critical is that no longer true?

https://www.entrust.com/resources/faq/what-digital-signing-certificates-time-stamping

Thanks

therube

FFS version, 13.4?
Free or Donation version (though I don't believe that should matter in the case of the FreeFileSync_x64.exe file)?

And it is only the timestamp that differs (date is the same)?

If you were to download (13.4) again, do the two downloads (hash or content) compare?

And if they do, if you install again, does Norton still find fault?
Site Admin

Zenju

This BS happens after every new release. It's called "reputation based heuristic": https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#virus

Different exes obviously have different certificate timestamps.

gfreesync

Ok, downloaded a second version, actually have 3 different copies and the timestamps are the same on each. It is windows 10 pro last updated version, two different PC's both generate the same error message
and it is the free version of the product. Ran a file scan and it did not report a problem and indicated the file was safe. It is only on the actual install it states an issue in with the digital certificate.
I routinely update the product as soon as an update is available.
I also still have and did install versions 13.2 and 13.3 of which neither have an issue

I started using the product last May and this has never been an issue. It's just a concern.

Thanks for the input.