Irrational distribution of files and rights noticed after update.

Get help for specific problems

BenThere

Additional notes from: viewtopic.php?p=42648#p42648

I essentially have 6 drives, 3 operable and 3 backup. One internal, one external with 2 partitions and one external with 3 partitions for backup.

I have 7 "*.ffs_gui" files, three of these are on the main partition of the backup drive "HDBU" (SyncSettings.ffs*, Open.ffs* and MacMiniSyncSettings.ffs*). The remaining "MacMiniSyncSettings" are spread across 1 on the main HD, 1 on the operable external drive and 1 on each of 2 remaining partitions of the backup drive. I have to assume that these files are basically templates to base the operable configuration files on and that they a placed on any connected drive at thee time of install.

The SyncSetting.ffs_gui and Open.ffs_gui files reside on the backup drive and not on the source drive. This means that if my backup drive were to fail, I would have to recreate the configuration files over again to backup to a new disk.

It seems to be more efficient to have these files on the source as opposed to the backup, this way they would end up on both the source and the backup. And the user would not be faced with creating new configuration files which may be different than the originals.

Concerning Rights applied:
Across these 6 partitions the rights for "MacMiniSyncSettings.ffs_gui" are as varied as the icons on our desktops. Four files have (me, staff, everyone), two others have (me, admin, everyone) and one has (me, wheel, everyone). Wheel is an old BSD unix group from times gone by and I have no idea where it would have come from as there is no Wheel group on any of my machines.

Plerry

> It seems to be more efficient to have these files on the source as opposed to the backup, this way they would end up on both the source and the backup. And the user would not be faced with creating new configuration files which may be different than the originals.

You are completely free to choose where you save your FFS sync configuration *.ffs_gui and/or *.ffs_batch files (obviously you should have write access to such those location(s) )
And you are also free to backup those files to any suitable location.

xCSxXenon

I have to assume that these files are basically templates to base the operable configuration files on and that they a placed on any connected drive at thee time of install. BenThere, 24 Feb 2024, 00:33
This is wrong and probably where the confusion is. The configuration files can be stored wherever you choose. FFS doesn't dictate where they go, mine are in my local Documents folder for example. Sounds like you have duplicate configurations laying around, and you are right, storing them on the source is a good idea because then they get backed up as well! Permissions are a different topic though, the default FFS behavior doesn't retain permissions.
https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#permissions-error