Data taking up more space on destination than on source?

Get help for specific problems

marcusfest

Just made a donation, thanks for maintaining this great program!

Quick question - I have two identical SSD RAID drives with a capacity of 3.63 TB each on a Windows system. The source drive is currently holding 2.74 TB of used space. When I attempted to sync it to the destination drive, the destination drive ran out of disk space. It seems like the syncing process is causing the data to take up more space on the destination drive than on the source drive. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

marcusfest

Thank you for your response, xCSxXenon. I had already seen the link and read it before I asked my question. The size mismatch in this case is nearly 0.89 TB, which is equivalent to 32% of the size of the data on the source drive. It would be great if this was avoidable or fixable. I don't see information helping with that on the page whose link you sent. Thanks once again.

therube

Large sized files? In the TB sized large?

Recall something about copying first (to a temporary file), then removing the original target & replacing with the copied temp file. So in that respect, large sized files on a target that is limited in free disk space could run into issues. (That method of copy can be disabled, if desired, though less safe.)