Synology NAS - USB to NAS

Get help for specific problems

mrtheloe

Hey everyone! (: +
I've recently acquired a NAS and I'm looking to back up my external hard drive. My plan was to connect the external hard drive to the NAS via USB 3.1 to achieve maximum speed.
I intended to use FFS for copying to have an overview and get status updates. However, I'm only getting a maximum of 35 MB/s. Is there a way to speed up the process?

Thanks in advance!

xCSxXenon

Sounds like it is running at USB 2.0 speeds. Check the cable and port you are using. Sometimes you get a weird insertion and it doesn't negotiate correctly, so try replugging it. Also try different cables if that doesn't help

mrtheloe

Sounds like it is running at USB 2.0 speeds. Check the cable and port you are using. Sometimes you get a weird insertion and it doesn't negotiate correctly, so try replugging it. Also try different cables if that doesn't help xCSxXenon, 06 May 2024, 14:25
If I use the internal Resource Monitor from my synology and simply drag and drop the files, I get speeds of 300-400 MB/s. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Here's my process: I connect the HDD to the USB port on my NAS. Then, I connect via SMB from my Mac to the NAS and use FFS.

is there a better way?

xCSxXenon

Oh, I am pretty sure that is going to make the traffic go through the Mac and back to the NAS.
https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/1262g2z/transferring_between_nas_folders_but_in_the_mac/