realtimesync to replace google drive

Discuss new features and functions

jdfnnl

As I became aware that freefilesync now has cloud integration, I would like to know if anyone out there replaces google drive with realtimesync. Effectively I have accomplished this with realtimesync as long as I remember to sync frequently. Reason being is that gdrive file system causes some problems with windows 10, specifically UWP app icons and file associations. Can anyone foresee issues regarding disorganized syncing between multiple computers or anything else. I have not figured out how to use realtimesync yet but think I may start experimenting with an auxiliary account before my main one.

jdfnnl

when creating a batch job for realtimesync that I intend to persist in the background, I assume auto-close should be unchecked? or maybe realtimesync ignores this parameter?

jdfnnl

it looks like realtimesync is not equipped to replace googlefs?

2024-05-08 14_21_26-RealTimeSync – Error.png
2024-05-08 14_21_26-RealTimeSync – Error.png (6.47 KiB) Viewed 275 times

jdfnnl

this being the case to sync every hour may be sufficient -- maybe windows task scheduler to run the batch file would then be the solution?

xCSxXenon

Correct, GDrive lacks support for monitoring so RTS can't be used with it.
A scheduled task is a possibility

jdfnnl

Would scheduling the batch file for every minute come close to emulating realtimesync or would this be intrusive on the user experience in windows?

xCSxXenon

Why would RTS be any better than the GDrive client running?

jdfnnl

as mentioned, google drive file system causes problems with UWP app icons and file associations.

xCSxXenon

That seems unlikely. Do you have an example?
UWP app icons are in their own sandboxed storage and file associations are set under-the-hood/in the registry. GDrive has no access to and can't touch either of those

xCSxXenon

Based on the links you provided, there are many other simpler solutions to fix that issue.
Regardless, answering your initial question, setting a scheduled task to every minute is probably a bad idea because it is very possible that another run could be triggered before the previous one finishes. I'm sure there is some error/checking that can be done to avoid this, but 15-30 minutes is probably more realistic