How often do you do the directory comparison?

Discuss new features and functions

Lobezno

I am trying the RealTimeSync option

How often do you do the directory comparison? the 10 seconds that appear when you configure it?
Thank you

Plerry

RealTimeSync (RTS) does not compare directories.
The RTS Manual page explains how RTS works.
The default value of 10 seconds you refer to is the Idle time.

Lobezno

Thanks for answering, if I saw that in the manual, my question is inactivity on the computer or inactivity on those folders?

I am testing the issue of comparison and synchronization, both with the RealTimeSync when running the computer or with every hour comparing (freefilesync), and I don't know which is the best option

If every 10 seconds it is looking at folders and detects changes, it may be worse for the system when the folders are very large.

xCSxXenon

RTS monitors the specified directories. If they are idle for >x idle time, it triggers the command line specified

Plerry

> RTS monitors the specified directories ...

More correctly:
RTS does not monitor specified directories, but instructs the OS to do so.

But given TS's reaction, it seems she/he (still?) did not to read the RTS Manual page.

xCSxXenon

> RTS monitors the specified directories ...

More correctly:
RTS does not monitor specified directories, but instructs the OS to do so. Plerry, 28 May 2024, 14:19
eh, even more accurately:
The OS is already monitoring everything, as supported, and provides "change notifiers", similar to Providers/Listeners in Flutter/DART. RTS becomes a 'monitor' in the sense that it is likely parsing all notifications and runs the command when one matches the specified directories.

But we're splitting hairs at this point lol

Lobezno

Hello everyone, thank you for answering, I did read the manual, what I wanted to know is the most optimal way to have a mirror in the cloud, I have tried both realtimesync and freefilesync.
When the first one detects changes, it takes less time than the freefilesync that had been set every hour to compare and make the mirror copy, when the freefilesync is launched it does the complete directory comparison.
That was simply my doubt.