.sync.ffs_db filename and syncing between windows and linux

Discuss new features and functions

jl33

Hi,

First, a great thank you for this very usefull tool (FFS).

I have a question about the database file, I didn't really find answers in the forum nor internet yet :

How to sync folders on a USB key between two different OS (Linux on one computer, and Win10 on the other one) ? How to get Windows version of FFS read Linux version's database file, and vice versa ?

A few infos :
I have files I need to work on on my personnal computer and on my professionnal computer (at work). I use FreefileSync 13.6 to sync these files : after my day at work, I sync the needed folders on my professionnal computer with a USB key (twoway sync, FFS under Windows10). Back at home, I do sync the USB key's folders with my personnal computer folders (twoway too, FFS under MX Linux). This way I always have the same files at work and at home.
(Maybe is it unclear on not efficient, if it is the case, feel free to tell me another way to do it ! But It is impossible for me to sync via internet/cloud or anything else, no internet at home).

The problem is the following : Windows and Linux versions of FFS don't have the same database filename. The linux one have a dot at the beginning, to get it hidden I think. But Windows FFS version then is not able to find and read this file, and instead of just moving or renaming files, it deletes and copies again the files. It is often very annoying, as files are sometimes very heavy.

I would like both versions to have the same database filename, how could I do it ?

Thanks,
All the best,

JL (Bordeaux, SW France)

xCSxXenon

Interesting that the name is different per-platform. I understand why, to make them hidden, but at a direct reduction in cross-platform quality. The names are hardcoded and can't be changed by end-users. The dev, Zenju, would have to make any changes. Although, this does seem like something that he would have accounted for already, by maybe considering the different file names across platforms
Site Admin

Zenju

The different naming of sync.ffs_db files doesn't matter when you're syncing different folder pairs. Most likely the limitations regarding "Detect Moved Files" apply: https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=synchronization-settings