linux errorcode 24: too many open files

Get help for specific problems

elfunesto

Hie,
I am using RealTimeSync on xubuntu for many months (years?) too synchronise two folders. Since one or two weeks, I often get an error message blocking the synchronisation : "Linux errorcode 24: too many open files". I still get the problem if closing and restarting RealTimeSync, however, the problem disappears if rebooting the system. Does anybody have a solution.
Cheers,
Hilaire

elfunesto

Hi,
Thanks for your answer. I have looked to the post you mention and I check that I have fs.file-max = 402857 which should be enough? Moreover, the fact that the error occurs a few hours is strange.
Cheers,
Hilaire

Widowsky

Hello,

Have you find the cause of this problem?

I also have the following since a few days and the mentioned post doesn't help (I'm not on Linux but on Mac):
Error Code 24: Too many open files [lstat]
Error Code 24: Too many open files [opendir]

I'm using FreeFileSync to synchronise a selection of folders between my desktop and my MacBookPro, both running macOS 10.13 High Sierra. I'm a musician. I believe that my use case and the number of files are pretty standard; nothing special.

I feel like the errors started appearing after adding the two following lines to my sync: a line syncs the folder /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins (7,82 GB on disk for 1 479 items) and the other syncs the folder /Library/Audio/Presets (19 MB on disk for 2 748 items).

Permissions are fine and as I said, nothing special in numbers. Could this be related to these being kind of system folders, even if they are originally empty and are filled by the user?

Is it a bug or a feature? Workarounds?

Cheers and thanks!