All files are in sync - not true!

Get help for specific problems

phageapps

Hi,

Sadly, after installing FFS 7.1 I tried to sync two folders (one in Desktop and the other one on a mapped samba network location) in Windows 7 but comparison does not find missing files.

I used to sync between different locations without any problem. However, after installing 7.1, FFS tells me "All files are in sync" subsequent of pressing "Compare" button. It is completely wrong, since one of the folders is actually completely empty. Locations are as followed:

Z:\Docs

C:\Users\My Username\Desktop\Docs

FFS should have found missing files in the second folder and suggest their sync.
I can see open and change files in these folders using good old Explorer.

Thanks in advance!

Plerry

Off hand, I can imagine two potential causes:
* The folder(s) and/or files that are missing are in your Exclude filter
* The Desktop is a Windows system folders that might reside in a "physical" location that is different from the apparent location. See e.g. http://superuser.com/questions/328763/can-you-change-the-location-of-the-desktop-folder-in-windows
Supposing Windows handles that via (symbolic?) links, you might try to change the Symbolic Link handling from Exclude into Follow in the Synchronization Settings.

phageapps

Thanks for assistance. Here is my exclude list (I didn't change it):

\System Volume Information\
\$Recycle.Bin\
\RECYCLER\
\RECYCLED\
*\desktop.ini
*\thumbs.db

Symbolic links are being "followed" according to "Comparison" settings.

This behaviour started after 7.1 update. Before the update I changed my time zone (I was on vacation in a different time zone). Maybe this is the reason.

Here are the exact steps I took before this behaviour:
Previous version worked flawlessly.
After last usage (1-2 months later) I changed my time zone in Windows to set to the local time.
I started FFS and it suggested me an update.
I updated it to 7.1.
Connected to a network samba location and mapped it to Z:\.
Tried to sync those folders mentioned above.

Now even if I try to sync 2 local folders, FFS comparison can't find any differences between 2 completely different folders. Event 2 folders in C:\ (e.g. C:\Folder1 and C:\Folder2).

I really don't understand what the issue is here, since there are no errors reported by FFS.

phageapps

Additional info:
I uninstalled and installed FFS again - didn't solve.
I started FFS with administrator right - FFS worked this time. Funny because files I am trying to access, belong to my user (standard user without admin rights) and starting FFS as administrator should be unnecessary. Hope this helps to track down the problem.

Bw,
Saren

phageapps

The problem persists in 7.2.

wm-sf

what is your setting for Comparison (F6) / Ignore time shift ?
What file systems are in use and are they all the same or different?
I'm guessing the time zone is the clue

phageapps

Hi Wm,

Sorry for my late response. I simply stopped using FFS, as it is useless right now. I needed it again and it still is the same.

Ignore time shift is set as "disabled". Checkbox is empty. Comparison is done on "File time and size". One of the file system is a remote samba folder. The other one is a local folder (NTFS). Again, it used to work! Update messed things up.

Bw,
Saren