"Swap Sides" Button (safety option against accidental use)

Discuss new features and functions
gdhm

Post by gdhm • 29 Dec 2014, 06:14

Unless I've missed it and it already exists somewhere in FreeFileSync, please can we have a tick option or password) option in the Main Menu>Tools>Options to stop a User from Swapping Sides via the "Swap Sides" Button without either a password or as a minimum, a Pop up windows asking User whether he/she really wishes to do this.

I ask because I have noted that in one of my Backup pairs things in the source are missing or outdated and my only conclusion is that I accidentally in the past few days accidentally clicked the "Swap Sides" Button and did not notice and must have consequently copied my data the wrong way.

MY suggested line of defence would help avoid such unwanted mistakes.
I do understand that a clue would be that upon leaving the particular Backup that FreeFileSync would ask if User wished to save the change, but I believe it is better to avoid the mistake before its done.

Users who are not interested in this extra line of defence against accidental actions by a User would not be affected, as they would just leave unticked, the tick box for confirmation or password when "Swap Sides" Button clicked.

Thanks

crux

Post by crux • 26 Mar 2019, 14:41

+1 for this suggestion.

This is the only reason I use Synctoy instead FreeFileSync. A way to disable the swap button or make it difficult to avoid mistakes is absolutely necessary.

Zenju
Site Admin

Post by Zenju • 27 Mar 2019, 10:58

Is this really such a great risk? Why whould you ever press a button and not be aware of it, and also not notice the GUI changes?

volker01

Post by volker01 • 27 Mar 2019, 12:01

+1 also from me.
yes, it is a risk. A popup "Do you want to swap ..." would be ok.

crux

Post by crux • 27 Mar 2019, 13:55

Zenju wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 10:58
Is this really such a great risk? Why whould you ever press a button and not be aware of it, and also not notice the GUI changes?
Of course it is a risk. And there is no GUI changes after pressing swap button. Only waps items left<>right.

clipper1

Post by clipper1 • 22 Apr 2019, 19:02

imho user friendly software design should explain to the user all important things and consider human failures like typo etc. (For example do not place the BackupDisk-button next to the FormatDisk-button)

While testing yesterday I accidently hit Sync while on "Two ways" instead of intended "mirror". Gladly I was able to cancel the operation. The pop-up should be enabled by default (check %AppData%\FreeFileSync\GlobalSettings.xml)

Yes, there should open a window explaining what is going to happen prior to delete anything and it should give the user the option to "dont show window again/cancel/ok". Many users might not consider or notice files are going to be deleted because it simply might be not visible on the screen.

Q: does a warning appear if the recycle bin is full?

Cheers clipper

crux

Post by crux • 23 May 2019, 17:17

Any news on this subject? Is it on waiting list?

Its the only reason I am not using it. That swap button can kill everything easely.

It should have a confirmation or the option to disable the button.

Thanks.