vss timeout ...

Discuss new features and functions

volker01

When use vss, i suggest make a timeout and write a failure in the log. If there is any error with vss, ffs never ends. I use ffs with Windows task, run unvisible in the background. Nobdody can see any errors or problems.
Site Admin

Zenju

If you are able to reproduce the hang:

Download the tool Process Explorer, then reproduce the hang with FFS, start Process Explorer, right-click on the FreeFileSync_x64.exe (or *_win32.exe if you're on 32-bit Windows), select "Create Dump" and then "full dump". Next, compress this file and send it to me via email (see FFS's about dialog for my email). This should help me find out what FFS was doing exactly during the hang. If possible I can then include a time out for VSS.

volker01

If you are able to reproduce the hang:

Download the tool Process Explorer, then reproduce the hang with FFS, start Process Explorer, right-click on the FreeFileSync_x64.exe (or *_win32.exe if you're on 32-bit Windows), select "Create Dump" and then "full dump". Next, compress this file and send it to me via email (see FFS's about dialog for my email). This should help me find out what FFS was doing exactly during the hang. If possible I can then include a time out for VSS.Zenju
Hello Zenju, thank you for your reply,
i can do that, but it's not a problem from ffs, it's problem whatever sometimes with vss. I think ffs should recognize there is a problem with vss, write to the logfile and then close. So when the user or admin analyse the logfile he ca see that. (Windows Image Backup waites 1 hour, then it generates an error in the log an terminates)
Site Admin

Zenju

Hello Zenju, thank you for your reply,
i can do that, but it's not a problem from ffs, it's problem whatever sometimes with vss. I think ffs should recognize there is a problem with vss, write to the logfile and then close. So when the user or admin analyse the logfile he ca see that. (Windows Image Backup waites 1 hour, then it generates an error in the log an terminates)volker01
I first need to find out what's going on in order to appy the correct fix. Most of the VSS API is already asynchronous, but this doesn't imply that the hang is in the asynchronous parts, too.

volker01

I first need to find out what's going on in order to appy the correct fix. Most of the VSS API is already asynchronous, but this doesn't imply that the hang is in the asynchronous parts, too.Zenju
Ok, next time, when i get this error, i create a dumpfile. For now i had this correct whith stopp and start the vss services, etc.