Run as Service?

Discuss new features and functions

gw_1966

Fantastic Program.
Having the RealTimeSync run as a service would be the icing on the cake, any plans to do this?
Grant.
Site Admin

Zenju

Why would you need RealtimeSync as a service? Do you want it to run on Windows startup? That's already possible, simply start RealtimeSync via commandline:

C:\program files\FreeFileSync\RealtimeSync.exe <config name>

-Zenju

gw_1966

Why would you need RealtimeSync as a service? Do you want it to run on Windows startup? That's already possible, simply start RealtimeSync via commandline:

C:\program files\FreeFileSync\RealtimeSync.exe <config name>

-ZenjuZenju
Yes, but I want to run it on a server to sync files on another server that no logs into :) So rather than use a service creater it would be nice if it was natively within the product.

Cheers.
Site Admin

Zenju

Yes, but I want to run it on a server to sync files on another server that no logs into :) So rather than use a service creater it would be nice if it was natively within the product.

Cheers.gw_1966
> So rather than use a service creater it would be nice if it was natively within the product.
Is there any actual functional benefit or is it just "another way" of starting RealtimeSync?

-Zenju

antoniodlp

Cheers.gw_1966
You can create batch files and run them using windows tasks scheduler which eliminates the need for a logged in user.

There's no benefit in running FFS as a service unless it had a scheduler of its own.

antoniodlp

You can create batch files and run them using windows tasks scheduler which eliminates the need for a logged in user.

There's no benefit in running FFS as a service unless it had a scheduler of its own.antoniodlp
Oops. Sorry, tried to help and went out of topic there.

butlerrc30

I know this is quite outdated but having RealTimeSync running as a service
would be great. Here is a realworld example.

We have an offsite office(s) that connect back to us to run reports here and
print at the offisite location. We would like to create a backup solution if
the circuit ever drops they still have some access to the reports. So we would
like to generate the reports at a specific interval that are generated at the
local office and then copied to a PC at the remote site once the directory at
the main office is updated. Basically the PC at the offsite office will be
acting like backup file server checking for newer files.
- The reports take anywhere from 1 minute to an hour so creating a schedule to copy will be difficult to plan
- The PCs at the remote sites will not always have someone logged into them hence running as a service would be key
- There are multiple sites that will need this so running from the local PC at the facility and copying down from the main office is the way to go.

Thanks for the great product!
Site Admin

Zenju

You can simply configure RealtimeSync to run as a srvany-service:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890

Perhaps I should include this into the helpfile.
Site Admin

Zenju

I've writen a step-by-step guide how to configure RealtimeSync to run as a
Service:

https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=rts-as-service