FTP-Syncronisation ? -> Plugin-FS

Discuss new features and functions

blackcrack

Hy,

why don't add an ftp-synchronization ? Maybe as plugin-fs who can anyone add other addons/plugins to synchronization like over sftp(ssh) or other things who be possible and need an other protocols like exotic pats or phones (like nokia(i have one with 16GigSD;) )) were can synchronizations directly music-folders and so on.. and there for ma by a plugin-fs for you FreeFileSync for enabling to writing plugins for you FFS. And i bet, if you make it possible to create plugins it's maybe not a bad idea/suggestion to create an plugin-page ;)

best regards
Blacky

Plerry

FTP-synchronization ...
Unless other methods are employed (e.g. using a database), synchronization is normally based on file-timestamp (date/time) and file-size.
Unfortunately, standard FTP does not support retaining file timestamp when writing /copying files. Some FTP servers and some FTP clients support an extention that allows to retain file-timestamps.
FFS (or a "plugin", as you suggest) would need to behave as an FTP-client and might support timestamp retention. However, only if both the client and the server support it, timestamps might be retained. And, FFS has no control over the capabilities of the FTP server.
Not having timestamp retention, removes one of the mayor pillars FFS depends on.

Plerry
Site Admin

Zenju

FreeFileSync supports SFTP directly as of version 7.2.

hw2

i'm using freefilesync on linux with curlftpfs to syncronize a ftp-only access to my remote host ( provider limitation )
Currently it doesn't keep datetime , in fact remote files take the current date...
Will 7.2 fix also this kind of issue?