make automatic backup folders

Discuss new features and functions

ronen1n

Hi

I want to make automatic backup folders before formating
So i tried to add this folder C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook but i can't becuse there is no folder *
And i need a portable version
If there is an easier way please let me know

in the Attachments you can see the folders the i alredy added

thank you
Attachments
SyncSettings.ffs_gui
(4.23 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Site Admin

Zenju

Easy: use C:\Users as folder and *\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ as include filter.
https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=exclude-items

ronen1n

so i can disinclude the folder *\AppData and in the include i enter this *\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ and it will copy only the Outlook folder?

Plerry

If "disinclude" means "exclude", then no.
You should act as advised.
Define C:\Users as your left (source) location.
And change the include filter from the default * into *\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\
This will include the AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ folder of all users (on that Windows machine) in the sync.
(You can leave the exclude filter at its default, or make it blank.)
In your right (destination) location you will then (per user) get a folder
[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ with its content
(to the extent that a folder C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ exists).

DrLove73

I noticed that you have to generate every "destination source" folder, meaning that if I use already generated ffs_batch file for new PC (I generate them via Python script from .csv file) then I also have to generate the starting "destination" folder.
If on Left, "source", I use "C:\AppData", and for destination, on right, I use "D:\Backup\C\Appdata"", then if "D:\Backup\C\Appdata" does not exist FFS will fail with error. I guess that stems from interactive use of FFS where you choose existing destination folder.
It would be much easier if FFS is able to create destination folder if it is missing, to cater to portable versions or automated batch files (I have a template batch file that has "$servername", "$pcname", etc. that I customize for each PC I sync).

ronen1n

if i exclude *\AppData i cant include something in AppData it will not work (i tried it)
i dont want all AppData folder just some of them
and i added some more folders to backup (the settings file attached if you want to see what is the problem)
Attachments
SyncSettings.ffs_gui
(4.56 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

ronen1n

?