Install on Multiple PCs

Get help for specific problems

bustachili

Are there instructions somewhere that document the steps for installing either the "exe" or "zip" versions on multiple PCs? I have a donation version of both from the links I receceived after donating. I unzipped the portable version, started the app, closed the app, zipped the entire directory, unzipped on a second PC.

When I tried running the app on the second PC I got an error, "Failed to activate FreeFileSync Donation Edition". I've been using FFS since v6.x. I don't recall ever getting this message before. I know something about activation changed in one of the recent versions. It's just not clear to me the steps I need to take.

Thanks in advance for your help
Site Admin

Zenju

What is the full error message?

bustachili

Hi Zenju, thanks for the reply. I didn't capture the full error message beyond what I listed above. The second PC that produced the error was my work laptop. Our corporate firewall blocks access to the freefilesync.org domain. I'm assuming that when I tried launching the app on the work laptop while I was at work that it could not activate because it could not communicate with the activation server. When I tried again from home (no firewall blocking to FFS.org) the program ran successfully without the error. And subsequent runs of the app on the work laptop at work with the firewall block have been successful. It seems that the initial run of the application on the secondary PC required unfiltered nternet connectivity to complete the activation.

This brings up a couple of followup question regarding the donation version.

1) Is there a limit to the number of installs/PCs that can be activated?
2) Does each install/activation require communication back to the home server to complete successfully?
3) is there any communication requirement after the initial activation?
4) Is there a time limit within which subsequent installs/activations (using the same source install version) need to be completed? I know there is a time limit for upgrades that is dependent on the donation amount, but wasn't sure about a time limit for installing the same version later.

Thanks again
Site Admin

Zenju

1. Yes 2. Yes (but offline activation is also possible) 3. No 4. No

bustachili

Hi Zenju, thanks for the reply. I still have a couple of questions.

1) You answered "yes" and provided a link to to FAQ. I read the FAQ and I am still confused about what you mean by a single user installing vs multi user. You seem to imply that installing on multiple computers can be considered multi user. What are the restrictions for installing on multiple computers used/owned by the same user, me?
2) How is offline activation possible if it requires communication to the activation server? I think that is where I hit the original error that I reported when I tried to run the first time on a second pc after unzipping the files but my company proxy was blocking access to the freefilesync.org domain
Site Admin

Zenju

This section should make it clear, no?
However if the portable installation files are copied to a different computer (instead of being used directly from a memory stick), this is considered a second installation.
Offline activation works via an activation key if the current PC doesn't have internet access. FFS will automatically show a corresponding info dialog when latter fails.

bustachili

Actually, that is the statement that is confusing to me as it seems to conflict with the following statement:

"This includes installation on portable storage devices (USB memory sticks) and even use on different computers, provided that FreeFileSync was already activated (during first start) on the former computer."

The above statement seems to imply that it is acceptable to install FFS on multiple PCs as long as it was first activated before moving to a second PC. This however seems to conflict with the statement you quoted which implies that copying to a different computer is considered a "second installation" is not within the single-user rights.

I'm really not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to understand if it's acceptable to do the following:

1) Donate and use email link to download both the ZIP and EXE versions
2) Unzip the portable version on PC 1
3) Double click to start FFS on PC 1, at the same time activating this installation
4) Zip the contents of the FFS directory from PC 1, and copy to a flash drive
5) Copy zip files from flash drive and unzip the contents from step #4 onto PC 2
6) Double click to start FFS on PC 2, at the same time activating this installation
7) Repeat steps #5 and #6 on multiple PCs that I own

Is this process acceptable as a single-user to install on multiple PCs and is there a limit to the number of PCs? It it possible to replicate this process using the EXE version downloaded in step #1?

You also mentioned that offline activation works with an "activation key". I don't recall seeing or receiving an activation key in the email I received after donating. Where would I get the activation key associated with my donation version? And when would I be prompted to enter the activation key for "offline activation" if I had it?

Again, sorry for the detailed questions, but I'm an engineer by trade, enough said. :)

Radish

I wouldn't give being an engineer a second thought. I'm not an engineer and yet you are asking the very questions I too would like to see answers for. Reading the above it seems to me that just exactly how anyone does offline activation is a mystery to be preserved.
Site Admin

Zenju

The above statement seems to imply that it is acceptable to install FFS on multiple PCs as long as it was first activated before moving to a second PC.bustachili, 08 Mar 2017, 01:48
I think the following paragraph makes it clear that "use" does not mean "installation":
However if the portable installation files are copied to a different computer (instead of being used directly from a memory stick), this is considered a second installation.
we have copy != use and copy = installation, ergo installation != use.
I'm really not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to understand if it's acceptable to do the following:
No problem. I'll take this as an opportunity to improve the FAQ if needed, but currently I don't see how. I think questions 1 - 7 should be clear from the FAQ text... or is it just too terse?

fletch

Yeah, this is a little unclear to me as well.

"The normal FreeFileSync Donation Edition may be used and installed by a single home user on their computer. This includes installation on portable storage devices (USB memory sticks) and even use on different computers, provided that FreeFileSync was already activated (during first start) on the former computer."

The last sentence is the most unclear. So here's what I want to do with a 1 "user" license. Can I....???

1. Install to a portable device - activate. Now 1 activation left.
2. Install to my primary PC - activate. Now 0 activations left.
3. Install to other PC's I own/use at home - no activation needed since I did that in step 2.

Expected use of Portable Edition. As with other similar packages I use that are licensed to the USB device, it is intended that it always be executed from that device. Copying the files from that device to another device or PC is physically possible but not supported. If you do this, activation will be required on whatever device you copied the "portable" files to because they were only licensed for that single device.
Site Admin

Zenju

I don't see a problem with your intended use of the Donation Edition.

fletch

ok, thanks. Just wanted to make sure that example should work and was valid for a "single" individual/user scenario.

Not sure why bustachili was wanting to zip up the installed/activated program onto a flash for installation on other PC's - instead of just doing a regular install/activation on that machine.

So I guess the rule for activation might be:

2 activation's allowed

Each install on a portable device decrements the activation count by 1.
Only the first install on an actual PC decrements the activation by 1. Subsequent installs on an actual PC do not count towards activation after the first one is complete.

Does that sound correct?