FreeFileSync for windows 64?

Discuss new features and functions

leif.b.nilsson

probably stupid ? - but it´s any FreeFileSync for windows bit 64 ...

// Leif

Radish

Just go here FreeFileSync Download and download the Windows Setup file. When it installs it will install an executable for Windows 64 - just look in the folder you installed FFS to and you will see a folder called "Bin", look in there and you will see the "FreeFileSync_x64.exe".

Note that the shortcut that FFS creates on install will actually point to a file "[InstallFolder]\FreeFileSync.exe". I think that what must happen is that when that exe file is launched it just works out which of the exe files in the Bin folder to launch, as per the Windows system you are using, and then automatically launches that exe file.

Note, however, that if you have a firewall that blocks programs from accessing the internet and you want FFS to automatically check for updates then (in your case) you would want to allow "FreeFileSync_x64.exe in your firewall.
Site Admin

Zenju

when that exe file is launched it just works out which of the exe files in the Bin folder to launch, as per the Windows system you are using, and then automatically launches that exe file.Radish, 16 Apr 2017, 20:50
Exactly.

Radish

Now that I've looked into this a little closer I have the following question:

On my system FreeFileSync_x64.exe is auto-launched by FreeFileSync.exe. However, If I look in Windows Task Manager it shows that both those programs are running for the duration of my session with FreeFileSync_x64.exe. Why is this so? Shouldn't FreeFileSync.exe just quit after auto-launching FreeFileSync_x64.exe? Why is it persistent for the entire session? Is there some kind of dependency on the part of FreeFileSync_x64.exe for FreeFileSync.exe to be also running at the same time? What would happen if the user directly launched FreeFileSync_x64.exe? In that situation would FreeFileSync_x64.exe malfunction in some way?

(This is not any kind of a problem, FreeFileSync.exe doesn't use a lot of resources - just curious.)
Site Admin

Zenju

The launcher makes a synchronous call (= waits for the callee to exit) in order to support scripting scenarios, e.g. where the error code of FreeFileSync.exe needs to be retrieved.