Files are copied with the name in lowercase

Get help for specific problems

apatrik

Good morning
I have a pen drive on my router, so it is on lan. On this pen drive I have some files that I syncronized with the master files in my pc.
Well, some files (copied by FreeFileSink) are been copied in lowercase characters on this pen drive from my pc.
Every time I try to syncronize them, a lot of files must to be copied because only the name are different : in the pc are in uppercase while on pen drive are in lowercase.
This is only a part of the problem, in fact FreeFileSink is unable to copy them, it generates an error and I must Ignorate all error to finish the task.
There is a solution for that?
I attach two pictures to let you see.
Many thanks
b.JPG
b.JPG (40.73 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
a.jpg
a.jpg (37.64 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
Site Admin

Zenju

Does renaming the files on the pen drive work if you do it manually via Windows Explorer?

apatrik

So and so...I make an example for you
I have this file : dscn1103.jpg....If I try to rename it with tha same letter but in uppercase like this DSCN1103.jpg an error returns " the file or the folder not exist"
Instead if I try to rename wit another name like : DSCN1109.jpg... yes this time I can rename....it is very strange
Thank you for interesting

apatrik

Did I not respond to your answer?
Site Admin

Zenju

I've implemented a workaround for this issue in the new beta:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ehv67n6mtwj6exj/FreeFileSync_9.1_beta_Windows_Setup.exe

apatrik

Hello Zenju,
I'download and installed the 9.1 Beta, I've tried it but the problem Is the same.....al files in uppercase are write in lowercase into the destination ( in my case is a pen drive attached to the router ). After the sincronia, if you scan again you find the same files to be write into destination.
Site Admin

Zenju

So the error messages are gone? But the target file name case did not change from lower to upper case as it is expected? Is there really a problem with FFS creating the files in the wrong case, or were these differences already there before FreeFileSync? Notice that the error message is not about copying files but about moving them (i.e. changing the file name).

apatrik

....This problem does not happen on my NAS, it is networked.

apatrik

The error message is no longer at the end of the sync, but at the next check they are all to be copied again. In fact FFS tries to move the files to lowercase to replace them with uppercase.
Destination files were created by FFS the first time I synced.
Site Admin

Zenju

Let's focus on one particular issue at a time as it seems there are multiple different issues. First, are file rename operations propagated correctly now?

apatrik

No, the last relase complete the sync without error windows, but the names of original files that are in uppercase, stay in lowercase, into destination folder. This issue cause another sync for the same files when you perform another sync.
this is the only issue.
Many thanks
Site Admin

Zenju

No, the last relase complete the sync without error windows, but the names of original files that are in uppercase, stay in lowercase, into destination folder.apatrik, 26 Apr 2017, 20:12
That's weird. The latest FFS beta basically does exactly what you did manually before: rename the target to some temporary name, then rename to the actual target name to avoid the bogus "already exists" error. Can you simplify your test case via an include filter so that it only tries to rename a single file and send me a Process Monitor trace as well as report the actual result as shown by Explorer?

apatrik

Hi, I was getting ready to do what you asked me, to make it simpler and to preserve my privacy, I formatted an 8 GB flash drive, then I created a folder with three files (photos), and I named them "PLUTO. Jpg, Pluto 2.jpg and Pluto 3.jpg ".
Then I created an FFS task that would have to copy these three files from my PC's Hard Disks to the pen drive attached to my router .....
After installing the program you suggested, I started it and started the FFS comparison and then the synchrony.
Free File Synk worked perfectly !!!!
While I'm writing I'm analyzing the pen drive I had the problem with ...
I'll let you know if there's any news ...

apatrik

Files was: PLUTO.jpg Pluto 2.jpg and pluto 3.jpg are been copied like I named.
Site Admin

Zenju

After installing the program you suggested, I started it and started the FFS comparison and then the synchrony.
Free File Synk worked perfectly !!!! apatrik, 30 Apr 2017, 13:06
So is the fix in the beta version still needed or does the regular FFS 9.0 also work correctly now?

apatrik

So is the fix in the beta version still needed or does the regular FFS 9.0 also work correctly now?
This try is made with the beta version...I dont know if the regular 9.0 is right.
some news
I disconnected the pendrive from the router and tried to insert it into the pc, the pc tells me "you need to format the pen drive"!
So I plugged the same pendrive back into the router and it works and I see the files (the three test files PLUTO.jpg Pluto 2.jpg and pluto 3.jpg.), Strange ... very strange, do not you think?
But go on...
Now I'm trying the first pendrive, the one from which the problem was born, first copied the files on my pc, then I formatted the pendrive in NTFS (first was in FAT32 ... was that the problem?), I Attached the pendrive to the router and is now working FFS ... it will have to copy (from scratch) about 25 Gb of data. When the sync is over, I'll let you know about everything ...