Compare Setting

Discuss new features and functions

programatix

Hi,

Is it possible to compare using "Date/Time" first, then only it it is changed, compare "By Size" and then "By Content"?

I have lots of photos and Windows 10 keeps on updating the "Modified Date" for unknown reason and FreeFileSync end up syncing gigabytes of files even though the photos are the exact same match.

Perhaps FreeFileSync should also generate checksum for either "source" or "destination" and compare the checksum first to see if the file really changed. This would be useful if the "source" is the local machine HDD.

Thanks.
Site Admin

Zenju

Full file copy vs binary comparison is a bad trade-off, i.e. not much to win here. You really want to dig down into the "unknown reason".

ulfben

I actually have the exact same problem! I'd be very interested in hearing if you figure this out, programatix!

In my case it's a set of jpeg's in a specific folder, whose timestamps never matches the server side no matter how often they're synced. I ended up adding the folder to the exclusion-list in FFS. :/

I'm also running Windows 10, syncing from an external USB drive (NTFS with EFS on).
Site Admin

Zenju

Process Monitor is the tool to analyze such issues:
https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#trace