Error on Apple temp-files like ._.DS_Store

Discuss new features and functions

MauriceH

I got always errror messages in the log file when someone put file on the server and copies also hidden Apple temp-file like ._.DS_Store
But also other files starting with ._.
I already used it in the exclude filter but this is somehow not alway working.
I put *\._* in the exclude filter.
What is the reason that FFS is not syncing these files? That was my first reason to use the filter.

Here is a part of the logfile
[22:37:25] Info: Deleting folder "Z:\Data E-drive\W-Drives\Mechatronics\Archief\Old USB Stick 8gb"
[22:37:27] Info: Cannot delete file "Z:\Data E-drive\W-Drives\Mechatronics\Archief\Old USB Stick 8gb\Archief\Flowlog\._.DS_Store".
Error Code 2: The system cannot find the file specified. [DeleteFile]
-> Automatic retry in 5 seconds...
[1:39:58] Error: Synchronization completed with errors
Site Admin

Zenju

The exclude filter should be working, so I suspect you're deleting the parent folder in which case the ._.DS_Store also has to be deleted, be it excluded or not. So the question is why is error code 2 not ignored? FreeFileSync checks this before returning the raw OS response. Maybe the file is in fact existing, and the error code is just bogus.
If you're able to reproduce this and can provide me with a Process Monitor trace (https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#trace) I should be able to find what's going on.

MauriceH

I use the mirror option to sync.
I had this error about a half year ago (or longer) many times. These ._. file are hidden files.
I made the exclude filter to do not backup them. Because they are not important.
I sync to a NAS. The QNAP NAS is Linux based.
This morning the sync was oke. And ends with no errors.
When I remove the exclude filter the errors will start again. The sync is doing its work and all sync is fine just the error message what is not important because its garbage. But I have made a script what sends an email with in the subject if the sync is oke or with errors. When the log file has errors, I have of course, to check what the problem is. I try to make a set of files you can use for testing it.