Syncing folders, rather than just contents

Discuss new features and functions

Darth Agnon

Greetings, Zenju.

First of all, thank so much for making backup software that works exactly how I dreamed of backup software working - copying what folders I want to where I want, when I want them copied. It has been, largely, a joy to use so far, and I will be replacing my previous backup solution with FreeFileSync, as well as recommending it to my colleagues and family.

Just thought I'd share the one confusing part of my experience with FreeFileSync and ask if there is any easy solution.

I have been travelling up the learning curve, and have figured out that:

a) If I browse to, and select a folder on the left, and select a destination folder on the right, and sync: the left folder's contents, rather than the left containing folder, are copied to the right folder (this resulted in messy right folders, and cryptic "Warning: Some files will be synchronized as part of multiple base folders.
To avoid conflicts, set up exclude filters so that each updated file is considered by only one base folder." errors)

b) I have to browse to a general containing folder on the left, and manually set up filter paths to the folders, within the general containing folder, that I actually want to back up, in the filter window. This does what I want it to: clones the specified folders (containing their contents) to a single right folder.

So, I think I've figured out how to work FreeFileSync how I want it. It's just a bit of a pity that it isn't quite as intuitive as it seemed at first glance. At first glance, it looks like I select a bunch of folders on the left, and where to copy those folders to, on the right. How it actually seems to work is: I select a root folder on the left, and manually type the paths to the folders within that root that I want to backup in the Filter window, and where I want to copy those folders to, on the right. Is this how it's supposed to work, or am I using it wrong? Or is there a way I can set FFS to copy the whole folders I've browsed to, rather than contents, to a target directory, without having to manually type out/locate and copypaste my (fairly complex) folder paths?

[Feature Request] Would it be possible to have a "simplified" view toggleable in a future release, wherein I can select folders on the left, and have the whole folder, rather than just the contents, copied to the right folder, without having to manually work with the slightly confusing/scary Filter window?

I think my initial confusion may have been the same as that of this user: viewtopic.php?t=4318

Darth Agnon

After further research, and finding out that my previous findings weren't quite as logical as I thought...

I think my problem is that of this user: viewtopic.php?t=1424

Guess I can't quite figure out why what looks like "folder selection" on the left hand side is actually "select contents of folder(s)", and why FFS can't automatically make folders on the right hand side, with the same names as folders on the left hand side, to store the contents of said left-hand folders.

[Updated Feature Request] Could I put in a feature request for a checkbox, that, when checked, tells FFS to duplicate the left-hand named folders as containers for their contents, on the right hand side? It would save me a lot of time from making identical container folders on the right, manually.

My heartfelt thanks,

Darth Agnon

Plerry

FFS (FreeFileSync) does exactly what you seem to want it to do, provided you use it properly.
If you do a FFS sync (here assuming left-to-right), FFS will duplicate all the content of your
left root/base location (files and the entire folder(s) tree(s) with its content) to the right root/base location (provided you have not excluded parts of the content via the exclude filter).
So, it is just a matter of "properly" choosing your left-right base pair(s).

Obviously, your base left- and right-location(s) (and only those) need to pre-exist, otherwise they can not be selected or dropped as the left-, resp. right-base-location.
However, if you type the full path of the new-to-be right folder or select the parent-folder of your new-to-be right folder and then manually add the new-to-be folder-name behind it (separated by the standard slash), and run the Compare, FFS will inform you that the right folder (presently) does not exist, but if you choose to ignore that, it will be created as a new folder during the sync.

Darth Agnon

Thank you for the reply, Plerry. My apologies for my delayed response.
FFS does do 99% of what I want - what it doesn't do is automatically create right-hand container folders or duplicate folder trees. I have to manually name them, or manually set up complex filter lists to copy them. I have written below a couple of examples illustrating what I have to currently do in FFS, and how it would ideally work for me. Guess this post is a bit of a feature request. It must be said, though, that I love FFS - it's great software, and has replaced EaseUs Todo Backup as my goto backup solution. In general, it works how I want it to, copying folders and files from A to B without me having to sort through it all manually.

My regards, and have a happy new year!

Darth

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example 1- I want to back up the folder <C:/Users/Myname/Downloads/> to a non-existent folder called "Downloads" at <B:/Data/>. I have to tell FFS to set the destination as <B:/Data/Downloads/>. I wish FFS could accept just <B:/Data/> as the destination, and assume that it has to create a folder with the same name as the lowest level folder name in the source path (i.e. "Downloads"). It isn't a major problem, just that it would save me having to type full folder paths for more complex trees.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example 2- I want to backup my PSP homebrew gamesaves, normal gamesaves, and a few associated files. The homebrews, for example, are stored at <Removable Disk I:/PSP/GAME/CAT_Homebrews/[insert homebrew name here]/>. I have to make a filter "Include:" list like the following, to duplicate the folder structure with the save files. I have to manually type all the extended folder addresses for FFS to duplicate the folder structure:
\PSP\SAVEDATA
\PSP\SAVESTATE
\PSP\SCREENSHOT
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Emulators\DaedalusX64R1878\SaveGames
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Emulators\DaedalusX64R1878\SaveStates
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Emulators\gpSP\GBA\SAV
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Emulators\gpSP\GBA\CFG
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Emulators\gpSP\GBA\SS
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Emulators\MasterBoy V2.10\Roms GBC\SAVE
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\blob\save*.dat
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\blob\persistant*.dat
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\cavestory\data.csz
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\Colditz\*.sav
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\FB\SCOREASAVE.CFG
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\FB\SCOREBSAVE.CFG
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\FB\SCORECSAVE.CFG
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\FB\SCORESAVE.CFG
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\gSquare\save
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\gSquare\CONFIG
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\Minecraft psp 2.0\Save
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\Supertux\.supertux
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\TYRIAN\tyrian.sav
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\TYRIAN\TYRIAN.CFG
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\WTH\User\profiles
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\WTH\User\player
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\WTH\User\settings
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\Zelda_OLB_V1\data\save
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\ZeldaNSQ\saves
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\ZeldaROTH\data\save
\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\ZeldaT3_V3\data\save
Ideally, FFS would allow me to select the source folders on the left, and checking a checkbox would make FFS automatically duplicate the whole folder structure on the right. It would be more complex for entries where I want to copy only all *.sav files, for example <\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\Colditz\*.sav>, but potentially I could write the source folder address like that: <\PSP\GAME\CAT_Homebrews\Colditz\*.sav> and FFS would apply the file filter for that folder only (i.e. some minor filtering syntax could apply in the left-hand source folder list?).

Plerry

Example 1:
How is FFS to know that you consider <C:/Users/Myname/> as the "real" root/base of your left location and is to create <Downloads> in <B:/Data/> and e.g. not consider <C:/Users/> as the "real" root/base of your left location and is to create <Myname/Downloads> in <B:/Data/> ... ?
But, it seems you do not consider this aspect to be a major problem.

Example 2:
It is not clear if said sync would need to be very dynamic or would be quite static.
If it is quite static, making these definitions once, although perhaps cumbersome, should not be too much of a challenge.
Still, you might wonder if you really need to make your definitions that specific.
Is it e.g. a problem if all of \PSP\GAME\CAT_* is synced?
After all, only files that have changed since the last sync will be copied over.
> I have to manually type all the extended folder addresses for FFS to duplicate the folder structure:
Even if you really need such extensive filters, you still do not have to manually type all of it.
It seems you are not aware of including or excluding items via right-click in the compare results window.
If you would run an (initial) compare for just \PSP\, you can select and right-click the relevant files and folders.
Only very specific filter-definitions, e.g. one or more of the ones including a <*> can then be manually edited.

Darth Agnon

I didn't know that about filtering via clicking in the comparison window [Example 2]! Thank you! That'll save me some trouble for portable devices. (PS. The reason I prefer not to back up the whole CAT_* folders is that they contain static gamedata and dynamic savedata, and I keep "clean" copies of the static gamedata, without any accompanying savedata, elsewhere already)

RE: [Example 1] - What I'd meant was that ideally, if the appropriate option was checked (Option: "Automatically create data container folder" checkbox), FFS would consider only one folder name, reading backwards from right-to-left, thus arriving at "Downloads" from <C:\Users\Myname\Downloads\>. The initial reason I mentioned it was because I was accustomed to (in EaseUs Todo Backup) selecting a source folder and it would backup the whole folder tree (a bit too much for my liking, but at least files were contained in their parent folders), whereas in my early experimentation with FFS, I would select a source folder on the left (<C:\Users\Myname\Downloads\>) and a destination on the right (<B:\Data\>) and it would dump all the contents of Downloads into Data, mixing it up with the contents of other source folders I'd pointed to <B:\Data\>. I've since learned to work with FFS; it's just a small UI quibble.

Thank you very much, though, Plerry, for your advice and responses. Your tips with regard to [Example 2] will help me a lot in the future!

Now I'm off to figure out how I can make FFS backup my junctions and symlinks ;)

Live long and prosper!

Darth Agnon