Multiple base folders

Discuss new features and functions

rmhughes0711

I keep getting the following error when trying to sync one of my PC's:

[4:17:49 PM] Warning: Some files will be synchronized as part of multiple base folders.
To avoid conflicts, set up exclude filters so that each updated file is considered by only one base folder.
\\CLOUDNET1\Public\FreeFileSynch\DellAllInOne\Wendy\Documents
\\CLOUDNET1\Public\FreeFileSynch\DellAllInOne\Wendy\Documents\Music
\\CLOUDNET1\Public\FreeFileSynch\DellAllInOne\Wendy\Documents\Pictures

I don't understand setting up "exclude filters" for this. I want to copy everything in these folders. What am I missing here??
Attachments
LastSyncs.log
(97.69 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Site Admin

Zenju

Looks like the warning message has failed its purpose. Any ideas how it can be improved?

rmhughes0711

Well, for one, it can tell me what files to exclude. Sure it doesn't mean exclude the entire directory. That seems to defeat the primary purpose of synchronization.

Plerry

It seems you have defined multiple left-right folder pairs to be synced.
As the ...\Music location and ...\Pictures location are subfolders of the ...\Wendy\Documents location,
there is an overlap between the ...\Wendy\Documents and ...\Music locations
and between the ...\Wendy\Documents and ...\Pictures locations.
Files in overlapping locations might give rise to conflicts during an FFS sync.

If you can not define your sync locations in a way that prevents such overlap,
you might used the global exclude filter (F7, the funnel icon at the mid top of the screen, applicable to all left-right folder pairs) or a local exclude filter (the funnel icon between the folder pairs, applicable to just that folder pair) to prevent the overlap.
If \\CLOUDNET1\Public\FreeFileSynch\DellAllInOne\Wendy\Documents is one of your left or right locations, and \\CLOUDNET1\Public\FreeFileSynch\DellAllInOne\Wendy\Documents\Music is another, you can prevent the overlap by adding \Music\ to the global exclude filter or to the local exclude filter of the left-right pair containing the base location \\CLOUDNET1\Public\FreeFileSynch\DellAllInOne\Wendy\Documents .
As \Music\ is a direct subfolder of ...\Documents, \Music\ will now be excluded from ...\Documents.
As \Music\ is not a direct subfolder of ...\Music, \Music\ will not be excluded from ...\Music, assuming ...\Music\Music\ does not exist.
If such folder could/would exist, use the local exclude filter instead of the global one.
Similarly, you can add \Pictures\ to the same exclude filter.

But you might be able to prevent the overlap all together by making a smarter choice in your left-right base locations. (Then: more detailed required on your left-right pairs)

@Zenju:
Your error- and warning-messages tend to be very concise and formally correct.
In itself, I can appreciate and even admire that.
However, it can often can be quite cryptic to those less familiar with FFS.
Here it might read there is an overlap between one or more of the left- and or right- (base) locations in the left-right folder pairs, potentially giving rise to conflicts. And advise to revise the left-right folder pair selections to prevent the overlap all together, or otherwise prevent the overlap(s) by excluding the overlap from one of the folder pairs involved via exclude filter(s).

sgtsixpack

I just got this error, I want to add two different folders from two different partitions on my external to the same folder and same drive. There will be no conflicts as one folder contains games and the other applications and none of the games are in a folder "program files" and all of the applications are. I don't get the fuss.

In hindsight, its easier to just combine the folders before targeting them with freefilesync as it causes problems rechecking.