[Version 10] - Tries to back up invisible system folders

Get help for specific problems

Darth Agnon

I'm using FFS v10, running Win7 SP1. I am logged in as an Administrator, and am not in Safe Mode or anything like that.

What I'm trying to do
I've set up a configuration to back up my <%USERPROFILE%/My Documents> folder, as well as a few other "documents" type folders (e.g. Downloads, Saved Games, default Windows stuff like that). What should happen is: those folders should be backed up to their target locations. No folders in other places on the disk (according to Windows default view) should be backed up with this plan, e.g. the My Music folder, though "technically" physically located at <%USERPROFILE%/Documents/My Music>, is displayed by Windows to exist at <%USERPROFILE%/My Music>, and should not be detected by this FFS config.

The problem that occurs
The config tries to back up the folders <%USERPROFILE%/Documents/My Music>, <%USERPROFILE%/Documents/My Photos>, and <%USERPROFILE%/Documents/My Videos>. To the end user, these folders "do not exist" (NB see technical note at end*). They appear to the end user to be in separate locations (<%USERPROFILE%/My Music>, for example), and are covered by my backup plans for those separate locations.

Note that I have seen FFS detect these hidden, inaccessible folders before, when I tried to run a backup from Safe Mode. I am not, however, currently in Safe Mode, and FFS shouldn't be detecting these folders - it has never done so in previous versions.

The solution?
For the time being, I will try using an exclusion filter, (as well as the classic "Switch it off and on again") but ideally, FFS shouldn't be detecting these folders at all. Any ideas what could be the problem?

Many thanks,
Darth Agnon

Technical note
* = Technically, these folders do exist, as the physical locations of e.g. music files, but Windows considers them "system folders" or somesuch, and does not display them when enabling the standard "show hidden files/folders" option, and keeps these folders hidden at all times from other programs. I think you need to disable Folder Options/View/Hide Protected Operating System Files to see them (I have that option enabled). Or you can log in to Windows in Safe Mode - I have had FFS detect those folders when in Safe Mode before.

Darth Agnon

It seems to be detecting the folder as <%USERPROFILE%/Documents>, whereas it should be detecting it the way Windows displays it, as <%USERPROFILE%/My Documents>.

Gianni1962

In "Comparison settings" deselect [x] Include symbolic links or select the (o) Direct option.

Comparison Settings