sync.ffs_lock being created despite <LockDirectoriesDuringSync Enabled="false"/>

Get help for specific problems

rtbaileyphd

I have a scheduled job that tries to mirror a folder from one drive to a USB drive overnight. It kept hanging because of a sync.ffs_lock file in the target directory. I edited the LockDirectoriesDuringSync line in GlobalSettings.xml to the following:
<LockDirectoriesDuringSync Enabled="false"/>

However, the sync.ffs_lock file in the target directory is still getting created.

Before I run FFS In my scheduled job, I kill all instances of FFS and I specifically delete the sync.ffs_lock file in the target directory. However, that lock file still gets created and FFS still hangs.

I checked for a log file, but none was actually produced.

The last line of my scheduled job log is this:
RI: 07/01/18 01:07:25 Executing "C:\ProgramFilesPersonal\FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe" "C:\rtb\BatchRun.G.EasusBackups.ffs_batch"

When I checked today FFS was still running, the sync.ffs_lock file in the target directory was there and was growing a little in size every second or so, and there was no log file created by FFS.

rtbaileyphd

Everything was actually working through June 30. I touched nothing and it failed on July 1.

woodelf

Hello, I also have this problem now. All scheduled sync jobs hang (Windows 10) "Waiting while directory is locked:"directory path\sync.ffs.lock" | Lock owner: xxx

Hope someone can help us?

--
FreeFileSync 10.1 Build: 06/03/18 - Unicode x64
Site Admin

Zenju

Maybe you've scheduled FreeFileSync to run under the "SYSTEM" account:
viewtopic.php?t=5073

woodelf

Hi Zenju,
Sorry, I may be misleading you...the "xxx" in the Lock Owner is my login account.
Anyway, after stopping the schedule and killing all FreeFileSync services with sysinternal's procexp and restarting the schedule it seems to be running fine.
--
Just a note on what I'm doing which is using FreeFileSync to keep a NAS folder synced to a OneDrive folder on my PC.

rtbaileyphd

Thanks Zenju. You got it right. I was using the SYSTEM account for my batch job. I just changed the job to copy GlobalSettings.xml from my user account to the systemprofile. When I ran it I saw that the settings as indicated by C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\FreeFileSync\LastSyncs.log reflected this:
[5:08:22 PM] Info: Using non-default global settings:
Copy locked files - Enabled
Copy file access permissions - Enabled
Lock directories during sync - Disabled