Possibility of Errors with Synchronization Settings

Get help for specific problems

Paul

There's a chance that the label on one of the settings is incomplete or misleading but it's best to clarify what the setting actually does to make sure than a synch doesn't result in the loss of a more recently dated file.

For example:

Assume a mirror (or any other) synchronization is done.

After, the contents of a file on the Source Disk is changed. The name is not changed.

Then, before the next synch, one of the Synchronization Settings chosen for the Synchronization Variant is "File Time and Size".
(See here for the variants than can be chosen: https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=comparison-settings)

Then, a mirror (or any other) synchronization is done the next day.

Since the name of the file was not changed, then is the "date" that the file change was made used?

Or, is only the "time and size" used (as it says on the label of the setting since there is no mention of a *date*)?

This matters because, if the first synch was done in the PM of day one, and the next synch is done in the AM of day two then, unless the date is used then:

(a) in a "mirror" synch, the now newer file on the Source Disk (AM time) will not overwrite the old file on the Target Dick (it shows PM time);

and

(b) in a 2-way synch, the older file on the Target Disk done on day 1 (it has PM time) will overwrite the newer file on the Source Disk (AM time).

Should the label be "Date, File Time, and Size".

I have two more questions:

(i) Do all conditions need to be met, or any one condition (such as File Time, or Size)?

(ii) Under what conditions does "size" matter? I ask because a newer file can be larger or smaller.