Flash Drive Slow After Using FFS

Get help for specific problems

AgentSmith

I really need to figure out why my work USB is so slow after using FFS? The main thing is that it takes forever to Create a New Folder. It also sometimes takes longer than expected to Copy Files over to it, but that may or may not be part of the issue.

I don't have any other explanation as to why this is happening. The USB has always worked well and have had many of the same kind. Some of my personal flash drives seem fine, but this one I cannot make work properly for the life of me. It was fast before using FFS, and even seems to be okay once I attempt a fix.

1. I Deleted the "System Volume Information" Folder on the Drive. This seemed to work for a short time but then right back to being slow.

2. I tried Wiping the Drive, Reformatting, Renaming and putting all the files back on. Along with this I made some changes to the "Filter", specifically removing all the Filters I had. After running the program I had to Filter "System Volume Information" again because of a Warning. Now the drive is back to being slow.

I simply cannot live with this so hope someone will help. This is a Lexar S75 256GB so it has some decent speed along with 3.0 capabilities.

I'm wondering if having "Folder and Search Options" set to "Show hidden files, folders and drives" is affecting this? Because I did get a warning and had to Filter the "System Volume Information" again.

Please help, I love my speed, and when working it is a real plus to have a fast drive to create folders and copy files too.

Thanks, AgentSmith

AgentSmith

For lack of a better term, where does FFS keep it's memory of what was copied the first time a run was done, when the Sync Configuration was kept and saved as a Desktop Icon?

Does FFS use "System Volume Information" to do any of this?

What do I need to do to get some advice?

Radish

As far as I am aware, provided the appropriate setting has been enabled, FFS keeps the data of what has been synchronised in a file titled sync.ffs_db See this manual page for more details: Synchronization Settings

Note that the file is a 'hidden' file so you need to setup your system to 'show hidden' files to be able to see it. (I have this setting permanently enabled on my system and have never known it to cause any issues.) Also the file does not display as human-readable in Notepad etc. Also note that there will be a sync.ffs_db file in the location of your source path (left-side) and target path (right-side).

I don't see how any of this will help you in trying to determine why your USB flash drive is running slow. There could be several reasons for that but I can't think of a single one that would say that FFS is the culprit. Maybe you just need a new flash drive. Have you tested using a different flash drive? Have you tried quick-formatting the drive and starting from scratch to see if that makes a difference? I always just go with the default filters in FFS, including filtering \System Volume Information\ -- I would never delete SVI off a flash drive as this is required by the system and messing around with it might just cause further problems.