Error Code 5: Access denied [DirReaderPlus]

Get help for specific problems

adat

Hi,
during the comparison of 2 folders the following message appeared to me:
"Cannot open directory ...
Error Code 5: Access denied [DirReaderPlus]"
if I launch the program with the administrative privileges all it's ok.
I've checked the security settigs of the folder and they are on Everyone.
Someone can help me?
Many THX

BristolPete

This seems to be an ongoing bug in FreeFileSync. If you look at the history this comes up again and again, and I have yet to find a solution that works or even begins to make sense.
Should a moderator disagree, I'm only too willing to be corrected - please point me in the right direction.
Site Admin

Zenju

This isn't a bug, just ordinary ACL at work.

Drudge Jedd

Zenju - your comment is completely unhelpful - the op wants to know how to proceed.

xCSxXenon

What are the specific paths that you are trying to sync? Sometimes setting certain protected objects will still deny access with permissions granted. It can also be another program, typically antivirus, that is interrupting the action.

marcobaudo

Hi everyone. I have the same problem on a Win2012 server that synchronizes remotely over the NAS on the network, for some time it is no longer possible to synchronize.. all this is really strange because a few months ago it worked.

tobymarshall

I have the same problem. I have two data backup drives. I never had a problem syncing before. Now I am getting this error. If I try to ignore it it takes hours for FFS to compare the two drives. FWIW I just upgraded to the latest version. I would very much like to know how to get access and get this to work.

I have access to file permissions in System Volume Information on both drives and both are set to full permissions

tobymarshall

Tried reinstallilng v10.14 and the same access problem. So I uninstalled and went back to v10.12 which works fine...

jevbrowser

Yo Toby. That's curious ciz i just uninstalled 10.14 and resinstalled 10.12, but i STILL get the same error. Not sure what to do next. Gonna keep trying..........

BristolPete

I now have a new sytem which worked fine until 2 hours ago. Now it's back to same old, same old - error code 5. There must be a simple solutiont to why a programme that works fine one second refuses to do so the next, but there is no credible solution to this error - unless you know one

xCSxXenon

No one has provided any useful information on paths to be synced. Windows ACL can most likely be attributed to the issues, and maybe differing methods of syncing causes the discrepancies between versions. Windows is very strict and unpredictable when it comes to system protected directories.