How do I contribute files to a drive without deleting files like Sync Toy does

Get help for specific problems

countryfarmboy

Hello All,
I have a NAS that I use for backups of my data. I work from two different PC's and use the NAS only as a backup and a file server. Both PC's have RAID 1 Mirrored drives also as I like to be safe. So if I add files on PC A, I'd like those to get contributed to the NAS and when I create files on PC B, I'd like it to contribute it to the NAS. I don't want it to delete any files. There was a feature in SyncToy that did this called contribute. I don't see an option for this. I don't want to Mirror PC A to the NAS and then Mirror PC B to the NAS as it will delete files. Some of my files are 4 GB and I don't want to access them off the NAS as it would slow things down, so I do all my work on the local PC drive and then to save it to the NAS. Am I missing something or is there a way to do this with batch files? Thanks!

Plerry

Simply select the Update sync variant in stead of the Mirror variant.
There is however still the risk of identical file-names in an identical folder structure between PC_A and PC_B resulting in unintentinally overwriting files.

When you would use non-overlapping locations as the destination on your NAS, you couls use the Mirror variant.
E.g. Mirror PC_A to \\[NAS-IP or -URL]\MirrorOfPCA\ and PC_B to \\[NAS-IP or -URL]\MirrorOfPCB\
This has the advantage (if that is what you prefer) that files removed from either PC will also be deleted from the NAS.

countryfarmboy

Thanks for the reply. I'm in my busy photography season and can only play with this once in a while. I really like this program. Still learning it though. Thanks again for the help and sorry for the late reply. You are a valuable asset to this forum.