Folder contains child item without a name ??

Get help for specific problems

phanco

Hi,

For a few years now I have been using FFS to periodically sync with a mix of external usb disks and a NAS.

Tried to do my NAS sync for the first time in a while today and the compare fails with the message :

Cannot read directory "W:\Itunes Library Backup".
Trav::getItemName: Data corruption; Folder contains child item without a name.

I've tried everything I can think of (disc scan, trying to sync to a new blank folder as a test) but it seems that FFS just wont work with my SAMBA connected NAS device ?

Any help gratefully received!
Site Admin

Zenju

What do you see when you manually open this folder? Which OS?

phanco

Its windows 10 pro 1803

That folder is a new folder, completely empty and I'm trying a left->right mirror synchronization (i.e. basically copying folder a into folder B). the W: drive is the target folder on the NAS
Site Admin

Zenju

So the error with FreeFileSync is repeatable? Which FFS version are you using? When you say this folder (W:\Itunes Library Backup) is empty, you mean you can open it in Windows Explorer and it contains no items?
Can you send me a Process Monitor trace for the time when the above error is shown? https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#trace

phanco

Currently on 10.12 but also happened prior to refresh to latest version (not sure what previous version was)...

The W: drive folder is empty, visible in windows and I can maually copy and paste files into the folder, and delete them.

How do I send a trace - ive have created it with process monitor and have a .chm file - do I just cut and paste the full file here or is there a way to attach ?

phanco

procmon.cmo renamed to procmon.txt to allow me to upload...
Attachments
procmon.txt
(62.09 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Site Admin

Zenju

The trace file should have a "pml" extension. You can compress it and send it via email (and upload to some cloud storage if needed).

> The W: drive folder is empty
? No "Itunes Library Backup" exists?

phanco

where should I email ?
Site Admin

Zenju

phanco

apologies I skim read - will email the zipped log...

phanco

log sent
Site Admin

Zenju

I don't see any indication of "Itunes Library Backup" in the trace. What was the error message that is captured?
Site Admin

Zenju

Is \\192.168.0.45\PHANCONAS\Itunes Data Backup\ the folder that fails with the above error message and is logged by your Process Monitor trace?

If so, does the following version avoid the error?
https://www.mediafire.com/file/uw0gpb3d2pc331c/FreeFileSync_10.13_%5BBeta%5D_Windows_Setup.exe

phanco

sorry yes it was that folder - I must have changed the name in the various experiments I was trying.

that beta version above appears to be working (but as I had deleted the original folder in my test, is now mirroring 157GB of data ...) - but its certainly got past the point in the compare it was failing at before ...

(time remaining 10 hours!)

phanco

Hi Zenzu, I can confirm that the latest beta has resolved my issue entierly. Massive thanks for solving a very frustrating issue!