Synchronizing hardlinks

Get help for specific problems

Syncy

Hi,

I have checked "Include symbolic links -> Direct" in the synchronization settings (so that only the hardlinks themselves are transferred).

If I then execute a synchronization (variant: Mirror) I unfortunately get the error message "Error Code 1314: The client lacks a required right. [CreateSymbolicLink]".

I followed the advice on the thread "viewtopic.php?t=1163", which unfortunately didn't help. The error message "Error code 1314" still exists, no matter in which combination I check the 3 boxes.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me!

xCSxXenon

Whatever you are syncing to doesn't support symbolic links

Syncy

xCSxXenon, thanks for your answer.

But asked again to be on the safe side: Does this mean that FreeFileSync is not able to copy a hardlink directly from one PC to another PC?

Gianni1962

Copying symbolic links requires FreeFileSync to be started with administrator rights.

Comparison Settings - Symbolic Link Handling - Note

Syncy

Thanks for the hint Gianni1962, but I already tried it and also a few times before.

I get the error message "Error code 1314" regardless if I run the file "FreeFileSync.exe" as administrator or not or in which combination I mark the 3 boxes in the options.

However, the setting "Include symbolic links -> Follow" works. Only with the setting "Include symbolic links -> Direct", which I need, the error message appears, regardless of whether I started the program with administrator rights or not.

Therefore, I suspect that a permission to create a symbolic link might be missing on the target PC?

Again I would be very grateful if someone could help me.
Site Admin

Zenju

FFS doesn't copy hard links, but if you want to copy symlinks, you need to start the FFS process with elevated rights (= right-click on exe, and select "run as admin").

Gianni1962

I have done a test using a local disc destination and a network share destination and the error arise only when the destination is a network share.

Syncy

Example:
Left Folder: "C:\Test\SymbolicLink"
Right Folder: "\\OtherPC\C\Test"

I started the program with administrator rights and this time I tried to copy a symbolic link (instead of a hardlink or a NTFS junction) from my PC to another PC in the mode "Include symbolic links -> Direct".

Zenju, unfortunately I still get the same error message when using a symbolic link as when using a hardlink:

"Cannot copy symbolic link [...]. Error Code 1314: Dem Client fehlt ein erforderliches Recht. [CreateSymbolicLink]".

Gianni1962, thanks for your test. Have you tried another PC on the network as a target? Because that's my problem.

Do I have to make a setting on the other PC?

Gianni1962

Sorry but is the test using a network share on another Windows pc that FAILED to sync the SymLinks!

Syncy

Gianni1962, I didn't understand your post, was that a question or a hint about my synchronization test?

Be that as it may, I'm trying to explain my goal in order not to get us wrong:

I'm sitting at this PC (PC 1) where the directory "C:\Test" exists. In the folder "Test" there is a symbolic link. This directory should be synchronized with my notebook (PC 2), so that the identical directory with the same folder content (= with the symbolic link) is created on it.

Both computers are in the same network and on PC 2 the partition C is shared. (I think this was what your post referred to, right?)

Synchronizing files and folders works fine!

But if I also want to synchronize the symbolic links directly, i.e. if I set in the options that symbolic links should also be included in the Direct comparison mode, then I get the error code 1314. Starting the program as administrator does not help either.

Hopefully I have expressed myself more clearly and hope further that you can help me.

Gianni1962

I have done two tests:

Test 1
destination is a USB hard-disk (formatted as NTFS) directly connected to PC 1

Test 2
destination is a folder shared on PC 2

I'm starting FFS as administrator.

Test 1 sync files, folders and SymLinks.

Test 1 sync files and folders but gives error 1314 trying to sync SymLinks.

Info: Cannot copy symbolic link
"C:\Documents and Settings" to "\\GIANNI-PC2\Test\Documents and Settings".
Error Code 1314: A required privilege is not held by the client. [CreateSymbolicLink]

HTH

Syncy

Thanks for your tests, Gianni.

I also tried your tests. The result was, when starting FFS with administrator privileges, also the same as with you:

Synchronizing symbolic links to a USB stick as target worked fine. By the way, synchronizing within the local hard drive also works as a target.

Only synchronizing to another PC within the same network doesn't work. Then the error code 1314 appears.

Does anyone still have an idea how to use FFS to synchronize a symbolic link in Direct mode to another PC in the same network? Or does this simply not work with FFS? Maybe a developer can answer this question.
Site Admin

Zenju

You can always manually test symlink creation via command line with
mklink /d <link path> <link content>
There shouldn't be any difference to FFS with regards to symlink support.

Syncy

Zenju, thank you for your quick answer, but I don't understand your answer, especially not in relation to my question, which is actually clear. In which case should there be no difference?

So do you think that the synchronization of symbolic links from one PC to another PC (where both PCs are within the same network with shares) works with FFS? Or doesn't it work with FFS?

This is the case. Gianni and I have tested this (also considering starting FFS with administrator privileges) and we both got the error code 1314.
Site Admin

Zenju

Zenju, thank you for your quick answer, but I don't understand your answer Syncy, 25 Sep 2019, 09:31
The point is this is not about FFS, but about limitations of symlink creation on Windows in general.

Syncy

It was not my intention to speak the program badly in such a way that it is unsuitable. On the contrary, FFS is a wonderful program with a very intuitive interface and a lot of work put in.

I also understood that FFS in this matter is ultimately limited to the rules that Windows dictates, which is fine. Thanks for the clarification.

Nevertheless, in the end it's all about whether my project works or not. So: Is it possible to copy symbolic links from one PC to another PC in the same network directly (= only the link itself)? Could you answer that Zenju?
Site Admin

Zenju

It was not my intention to speak the program badly in such a way that it is unsuitable. Syncy, 25 Sep 2019, 10:25
No problem, I just wanted to make it clear that this is not an unfixed FFS bug, in case someone finds this thread via Google.
Nevertheless, in the end it's all about whether my project works or not. So: Is it possible to copy symbolic links from one PC to another PC in the same network directly (= only the link itself)? Could you answer that Zenju? Syncy, 25 Sep 2019, 10:25
I'd say this should work " in general".

xCSxXenon

You may need to give full control to everyone through the security tab on the shared folder in PC2. Symlinks require admin access, but you are only giving admin access on PC1, it doesn't propagate through the network and automatically give you admin access on PC2. Remove all permissions from the shared folder and give full control to everyone.

Syncy

xCSxXenon, thanks for your advice. But I think I gave PC 2 at least full access. I shared the partitions of PC 2 by allowing full access, changing and reading for everyone in the properties of the partitions in the permissions.

Synchronizing files and folders works fine with FFS, which is what I originally set up partition sharing for. Only when trying to copy the symbolic links directly the error code 1314 appears.

Do I have to grant administrator rights for PC 1 in another way? How can you grant administrator access at all, is allowing full access for everyone in the permissions the same? PC 2 is my notebook, so I can make any necessary settings.