Donation version stops working while mirroring on short connection outage

Get help for specific problems

merusal

FreeFileSync version: 10.17 [Donation_Edition] (FreeFileSync_10.17_[Donation_Edition]_Setup.exe)
Internet provider: German Telekom (Deutsche Telekom)
FreeFileSync action performing: Synchronize (mirror)
To: Dropbox subdirectory ("gdrive:\my-email\my-first-level-subdirectory\my-second-level-subdirectory")
Maximum transfer speed shown by FreeFileSync: > 1 MB/sec
Mimimum transfer speed shown by FreeFileSync: 0 KB/sec

How do I activate an "Auto Retry" option in FreeFileSync, when creating a mirror of a local drive on Dropbox?

I am trying to create a mirror of a local NAS drive to Dropbox, using the (great - thanks a lot for that!) Connect-to-Dropbox option of FreeFileSync (on the UI, I am talking about the Dropbox button right of the Browse button, when selecting a source or target folder).

My Internet provider is German Telekom, and a "feature" of all of their connections (at least all in my area) is to provide their service in the form of a wave. Their transfer speed is like this, in KB/sec: 1400 - 1200 - 900 - 200 - ***0*** - 100 - 500 - 900 - 1400 etc. The second or few seconds where they provide zero throughput is a problem for FreeFileSync. FreeFileSync then shows an error message box reporting that it cannot continue, and stops transferring data.

Each time this happens, I have to click "Retry", and FreeFileSync will continue transferring data happily, as the transfer outage has long passed.

The effect for me is: I take a look at the screen each time I walk by the PC, if another error message is shown, and if I see one, click on "Retry". This can happen several times per hour.

German Telekom's technical support's stance on problems like this has been that I am paying for a maximum transfer speed, and if they drop "intermittently and rarely" to zero for a few seconds, that is the state of current technology. I may have commented in the past on this; as a German Telekom customer for three decades I have learned to accept their view of their world as part of my reality.

The problem this poses for me: I am lucky if FreeFileSync transfers data half of the day, as I am not continuously watching the screen. I also have the bad habit of sleeping or not being in my apartment, which means that FreeFileSync will stop transferring data for hours, as there is no-one to click the "Retry" button.

When searching these forums, I found instructions how to activate an "auto retry" option, for similar cases, like in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=3342
In this case the option helped for temporarily locked files, due to a virus scanner.

Unfortunately, my Settings page looks different. No wonder, as that thread is from three years ago, and FreeFileSync no doubt has been improved all the time.

Is there a similar "auto retry" option for the Mirror function, which triggers in the case of a temporary zero throughput of the Internet connection?

Thanks a lot!
Site Admin

Zenju

The "auto retry" option has moved to the comparison settings page because it now applies there, too.