Conflicts when Syncing

Get help for specific problems

APUser

Hi, I have a client that has a WD Cloud Drive with all his data stored on it and he has four devices that uses FFS for syncing the data between the WD Cloud Drive. All devices sync directly to the WD Cloud Drive and not between each other.

The syncing takes place each 30 minutes staggered at different times so the FFS scans don't see locked files. All files between the devices and my clients WD Cloud Drive all sync fine except for a Family Tree file my client uses on his main laptop. He will only update the family tree data file on the main device (Book3), but he likes to be able to view his family tree file on the other devices for reference at the same time Book3 has the main file open.

When the FFS sync's on any of the devices they often cause a Conflict because it cannot workout which version of the file is the newest. This then stops all syncing between the devices and the WD Cloud Drive causing my client issues as he hasn't got the correct/latest version of his files synced on all his devices.

My question is, can/is there a way that we can get this working for my client so that Book3 (main laptop) can sync the data to the WD Cloud Drive and then filtering down to the other devices without these conflicts keep happening?
Just thinking about it a little more while writing this maybe somehow setting the other devices only to have a copy of the Family Tree data file and not sync both ways as the other devices only need to view the data file and not modify it. The family tree data file is 264MB in size and only needs to be modified on my clients main laptop (Book3), which then syncs to his WD Cloud Drive.

Any help would be most grateful as we have been trying to resolve this for sometime now without luck...

Many thanks,
Andrew

Plerry

You can exclude the Family Tree file(s) from your normal (two-way?) sync. (See here).

You can then add another left-right-pair (see here) for the Family Tree file(s), where you may use an explicit (local!) Include filter for that file / those files, and for which you define (local!) sync settings.
Those local sync settings for the Family Tree file(s) would involve:

- A Book3-to-WD_Cloud_Drive Mirror sync for the sync run on Book3, and
- a WD_Cloud_Drive-to-local_machine Mirror sync for the syncs run on the other machines.

APUser

Hi Plerry, OK, I shall get connected to my clients devices this evening and shall attempt the filters etc... and mirror only on the other devices except for Book3.

I shall let you know tomorrow to how this goes and thanks for providing help with this.

APUser

Hi Plerry, this has resolved the issue, thank you.
One quick question if I may, do you know if FFS can email someone if there are any errors or conflicts detected?

Plerry

There have been several discussions on the Email topic in this forum, e.g. here.

APUser

Thank you Plerry.

APUser

Another issue has now occurred, my client has two laptops using FFS and they run every 30mins on one and every 42mins on the other device so that they don't clash when scanning. However both laptops yesterday must have clashed as both were stuck with the green arrows showing for more than two hours my client informed.

Is there a way that if one of the devices when starting FFS if it detects another device running FFS and has locked files can FFS close and restart say 5mins later?

I have tried to configure Task Scheduler with if this process runs longer than 10mins then cancel, but this doesn't seem to work?

Plerry

Running on one machine every 30 mins and on the other machine every 42 mins will always cause an overlap between tasks at some point in time.
Why not run these tasks as (time) scheduled tasks, e.g. once per hour. On one machine starting at every full hour (8:00, 9:00, 10:00, etc) and on the other machine starting at every half hour (8:30, 9:30, 10:30, etc).
Then, the task can take up to half an hour without ever overlapping.