A check to avoid a false potential check makes FreeFileSync not working since version 10.18

Get help for specific problems

mazzarella

Dear developer(s),

I'm been using FreeFileSync from the beginning without any problem; but from version 10.18 it does not run on one of my PC.
The problem is that at the starting a check is made on the existence of a dll from NVIDIA (nviewH64.dll) and, if it exists, the program is not executed at all.
It shows the following error:
" The file C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nview\nwiew.H64.dll (NVIDIA; version 6.14.10.14847) was found on your system and will cause FreeFileSync to crash.
In order to avoid crashing, either uninstall "NVIDIA Desktop Manager" version 148.47 or update your nVidia graphics card drivers to a new version."
Error box picture
Error box picture
Error.png (119.61 KiB) Viewed 460 times
The points are:
1) Windows 10 pro is installed and the the NVIDIA Drivers and NVIDIA Desktop Manager are the newest available (the version shown in the error diagnostic is just the version installed, which is the newest);
2) till version 10.17 I never got a crash with this (and older) NVIDIA Drivers and NVIDIA Desktop Manager installed;
3) rolling back to version 10.17 everything is working fine again.

When version 10.19 was released, I installed it but I have got the same issue rolling back again to version 10.17.

I was also making some tests, running contemporary both FreeFileSync ver. 10.17 and the NVIDIA Desktop Manager, but I was not able to produce any crash.

Thus, if no special changes have been introduced in the code from version 10.18, which can conflict with such nviewH64.dll, no reason exists to have such initial check that avoid the code execution and to makes the program unusable for some users.

My PC is a DELL Precision M46000 Laptop that mounts a NVIDIA Quadro 2000M graphic adapter, for which the latest version of NVIDIA Desktop Manager" is version 148.47 and NVIDIA Drivers is version 6.14.10.14847, what it is installed, and no updates will be released in the future.

Thanks for the beautiful work done, hopefully even better for the future.

Livio Mazzarella
Site Admin

Zenju

It's only version "6.14.10.14847" that is buggy and causing crashes.
NVIDIA Nview Desktop Manager v149.77 is available here: https://www.nvidia.com/de-de/drivers/nview/