New user backup job.

Get help for specific problems

sgtsixpack

I was watching the youtube tutorials and it made me check when a file date is updated. If I download a file the date is from when the file was created or modified last (it is irrelevant at what time/date I download it). If I edit a file the date is set from that moment of save. I do rename and tidy up directories. So I just want a snapshot of my main storage onto my backup while deleting from backup the non-existant files and directories on my main storage (as a result to tidying) and updating older file versions and ofcourse copying new files. I don't need anything as complicated as a external merge program.

The basic options I'm looking at the achieve the above is setting my source and destination and using the one way mirror function. I will test, these scenarios anyway but am I in the right ball park?

Plerry

You seem to be right in the ballpark.
However, if (as you suggest) you frequently rename and/or re-arrange files or folders (without modifying the files), FreeFileSync (FFS) will delete the existing backup of the renamed or moved file and copy the new, renamed or moved file to the backup.
If this involves a lot of files this may cause quite some network traffic and make the sync take more time.
If you want to prevent that, you can enable the Detect Moved Files option. If you enable this option, if possible, the corresponding files in your backup location will be renamed or moved instead of newly copied over.
Note that, when using the Detect Renamed Files option, FFS needs to have write access to your source (normally: left) base location (even if LockDirectoriesDuringSync is set to false).