Possible bug: Unable to exclude files with "!" as first character of name

Discuss new features and functions

hsehestedt

I have a naming scheme in which I name certain files and folders with an "!" as the first character. These are special files and folders that I do NOT want synced to another location. In the past, when I used Robocopy to sync all my files, I would simply exclude all files that start with "!" in my sync.

However, with FreeFileSync, I don't seem to be able to exclude anything starting with an "!". Anyone know of a workaround to this or is this a possible bug?

Radish

Try the following in your Filter settings (press the key F7 to see them):

*\!*\
The above will force not to copy folders that start with a "!" character. Note that if the folder contains any files and/or other folders they, likewise, will not be copied.

*\!*
The above will force not to copy files that start with a "!".

*\*!*\
The above will force not to copy folders that have a "!" character anywhere in the folder name. Note that if the folder contains any files and/or other folders they, likewise, will not be copied.

*\*!*
The above will force not to copy files that have a "!" character anywhere in the filename.

Experiment with that for a while and you should get it to work. (I didn't know the answer to your question myself until I experimented a bit.)

I would though note that variations of the above are possible. See Exclude Items via Filter For example, *!* looks promising - you would need to experiment with different filters to get what you think works best for you.
Site Admin

Zenju

I've added this case as yet another example in the manual.

hsehestedt

Thanks for the help. The suggested syntax is working perfectly for me.