Inconsistent log files: GUI vs batch

Get help for specific problems

gunterotto

There seems to be a difference in the FFS log files created by a ffs_batch job and ffs_gui job; the "Comparison finished" line is omitted in ffs_gui jobs. This can be a problem for some people (like me!) that use log files to create an aggregate summary report of backups. In my case, the key information missing is the "xx,xxx items found" total; that is not available in the log file created when a gui job completes.

I've been waiting for this inconsistency to be fixed, but I'm using v10.22 and have not yet spotted it in the changelog for v10.23 or 24. Is there a reason the "Comparison line" is not included in GUI logs?

gunterotto

Update v11.0: gui/batch logs still different

gunterotto

Update v11.2 - no "Info: Comparison finished" statement in the logs for "ffs_gui" jobs.

gunterotto

Update v11.5 - I'm perplexed as to why FFS logs are not consistent between batch and gui backups, and that no one else seems to extract and analyze log data. I will resign myself to the facts and continue my work arounds, particularly since I believe that FreeFileSync is far and away the best sync tool there is!

xCSxXenon

That is an interesting discrepancy... I would like to see it 'fixed', just to have the consistency.
I guess, to be far, a ffs_batch can be run in the GUI anyway, and I use those exclusively. I don't even see a reason to have the ffs_gui variation. Can you just convert them to batch jobs?

gunterotto

All my backups are automated batch jobs, so those are not an issue, but I need to occasionally run them manually using the GUI to change/omit directories. Hence my (admittedly small) problem. I agree, it's an interesting discrepancy, and I don't understand why there are distinctive ".ffs_gui" and ".ffs_batch" files anyway; they are almost 100% shared code, save the <Batch/Gui> details. Why not just have one ".ffs" job that can be run interactively or batch, and use the relevant <Batch> or <Gui> parameters??
Site Admin

Zenju