.ffs_lock Creation Error

Get help for specific problems

ncfreedman

Using FFS v10.25 from my PC running Win10, I am trying to mirror a directory from another PC running Win7 accessed over the network to a directory on an external drive connected to my PC. Total directory size is 2.25TB. Mirroring usually works for the first 192GB of data and then FFS crashes with no output error log. When I attempt to resume the mirror, FFS crashes while trying to create the .ffs_lock file on the remote PC. Deleting the .ffs_lock files in both locations does not resolve the problem.

The only way I have been able to resume the mirroring process without getting the .ffs_lock error is by deleting the contents of the external drive directory as well as deleting the .ffs_lock file on the network directory. However, this process fails again, usually around 192GB.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to resolve? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Site Admin

Zenju

ncfreedman

Thank you for your response!
I am unable to generate the mini dump file because the program is killed automatically. There is also no log output in the default log file location.
Site Admin

Zenju

Are you sure FFS is "crashing"? If so, there should be an entry in Windows event logger.

ncfreedman

I just sent you the full dump file.
Site Admin

Zenju

Unfortunately the dump file seems to be broken/incomplete and cannot be opened for debugging.
At least the module information is available and contains a peculiar entry. Maybe this is part of the problem:
C:\Program Files\Cylance\Desktop\CyMemDef64.dll    Version 2.0.1534.15

ncfreedman

My apologies for the corrupt file. I have just sent you a replacement. Cylance may have something to do with it. I will try disabling it and report back. Thank you so much for your help!
Site Admin

Zenju

The new dump file is usuable. FreeFileSync is in the middle of a file copy and appears to have crashed while the call stack is deep inside the following third-party DLL:
C:\Windows\System32\QIPCAP64.dll    version 7.06.818.1    29.01.2020 01:41
The target file path is longer than 260 chars and likely the reason why QIPCAP64.dll is crashing.

QIPCAP64.dll belongs to Forcepoint security software: https://www.websense.com/content/support/library/deployctr/v85/dic_av_exclude.aspx

ncfreedman

Thank you! Is there a way to view the target file path?

therube

Everything is great (well, at everything).
And can quickly point you to >260.

Search for:
path:len:>260
Might help point something out.

ncfreedman

Thank you both so much for your support! It appears all is working now. Just had to shorten the destination file length.