Exlude items older than 7 years

Get help for specific problems

pstoric

Working on a file server migration and I wanted to ask if this was possible with FFS. They have almost 1TB of data in various SMB shares but some of that can be archived. Is there and option that can copy folders (including subfolders) and files but exclude files and folders older than 7 years? It looks like I can do this with a filter I think using the time span option but wanted to confirm

Plerry

This should be possible by using the Time Span option.
Going back 7 years takes some time to "browse" back that far in the time-span settings ...

In case you want to save the sync settings for later re-use, it is unfortunate that the FFS time-span dates are (at least presently) "absolute"; the time-span low and/or high limit can not be set to automatically shift with the actual date.

pstoric

Ah so I can't set a static date let's say 1/1/2013 and only copy items after that nightly?

Plerry

If you use the time-span function, you must set an "earliest" and a "latest" limit of the files to be included in the sync. These limits are saved as static dates, and don't shift e.g. by a week if you run the saved sync in a week time.
There is e.g. no "now - 7years" through "now".

However, FFS allows the "latest" date to be chosen in the future (never tried using it ...).
Assuming that works as expected, you may use a "latest" limit setting that is sufficiently far ahead in the future that it should never limit your sync.

pstoric

Ok perhaps I'll copy everyhting and cleanup after then

pstoric

I created a batch job and selected it to run minimized but changed my mind. I can't see a way to modify that setting again. Do I need to save a new batch job with a diff name?

I tried overwriting the existing sync settings file with the run minimized option unchecked but there is no progress screen when I run the task and no icon in the task tray by the date and time. The OS is Server 2019 Standard. Ideally, I want to see the progress window when it's running and then have it disappear when it's completed

Plerry

... I tried overwriting the existing sync settings file with the run minimized option unchecked but there is no progress screen when I run the task and no icon in the task tray by the date and time. pstoric, 04 Aug 2020, 20:29
If you are you running the FFS sync job as a (Windows?) scheduled task, then make sure the Task Scheduler is running that task under the same user-credentials as the user you are logged as. If it runs under different user-credentials (e.g. as the System-user), you will not see the icon or progress window.

Conversely, if you run the FFS task by double clicking the *.ffs_batch file, you should always see the icon and, if not running minimized, the progress window.

pstoric

I'm loggedin as Domain Administrator and that's the same account that the task is running under but it doesn't show when running the task

Double clicking on the FFS batch file does however bring up the progress window

https://www.screencast.com/t/c3F8QSWyMEPG