New User trying to get started

Discuss new features and functions

WimYogya

Hello,

After comparing 10 different sync apps FFS seems to do what I want. Although other apps - to be honest - have a much sleeker look. Is FFS working on a different and more modern theme/look?
Having said this, I am optimistic that FFS will meet my requirements, but I will need to learn.

My first question:
What is sync.ffs_lock?
Creating a job I found it on my source AND target disk. Waited patiently for 30 mins but nothing happened. Can it be a leftover from a job I was running while testing ANOTHER sync app that has finished now?
I finally just deleted both instances of the filename. Now no waiting anymore.

My second question:
I expect to have 50+ jobs and like to organize them in groups, like: documents, photos, videos, movies, mail etc. Can I do that?

My third question:
If I want to exclude certain files/folders from syncing during a specific task, how do I do that?

My fourth question - the last one, for now...
I will almost ALWAYS use the mirror option. Can that be set as my DEFAULT syncing preference?

My first job is running now and it confirms my assumption that FFS gives me a much better overview and detailed information of the syncing process. But still a fifth question:
How do I exclude the RECYCLEBIN to be copied from source to destination?

And another one:
I requested a stop to try to edit the job (if I can find the recycle bin remove option). But... FFS says a stop has been requested but keeps on syncing... What to do?

Thanks for your attention and help!
Greetings from Indonesia,
Wim/Dutchman (76)

Radish

Most of your questions can be answered by reading through, or watching, the available documentation/videos on FreeFileSync. Work through all of that first and then come back to the forum with a question list that will be a bit less extensive. (In essence your questions are asking people to re-write the manual for you, I don't think you'll get anyone that will bite on that. You have to do the basic groundwork by yourself in the first instance.)

You access the documentation stuff from this webpage: https://freefilesync.org/ (Look at the top of that page.) In particular work through the Tutorials, FAQs and Manual.

xCSxXenon

Also, search through the forum, as most, if not all, of your questions are duplicates

WimYogya

Sorry to bother you guys, but you might be experts and collaborating on the app - I am just a simple user.
Your answers give someone who wants to know more about Jesus a Bible, saying: it is all in there...

Well, I explored a bit and read a bit and watched a bit...
And then tried to set up a job - as I have done in around 10 other sync apps.
Here it was more complicated.

And to start with my simple question one:
A forum search in brackets "What is sync.ffs_lock?" gives me dozens of complicated posts going back to 2010 but nowhere I could find an anwer on that question...

Then did some searches in the forum/manual about options to put jobs in a group (docs, photos, videos, movies). Could only find an option to group individual jobs and launch them together. Not group them in a folderlike tree structure with category > jobs.

In my previous life I wrote two manuals for electronic editorial systems for tv journalists. I was convinced the old saying is true: 'Everytime you think you explained everything for idiots, a new idiot arrives'.
It is one of the most complicated books to write!
Here I am one of those idiots, as it seems.
I will try to find my way, however.

Greetz,
Wim

WimYogya

I quit....
Both FFS and this Forum.
Cannot figure out what I must do.
Back to SyncBack - after they removed a blocked feature.
Bye!

xCSxXenon

Good luck! Although it looks pretty similar to FFS in use